Unemployment benefits

A friend of mine is currently considered a full time student in a Masters degree program. On June 30 her yearly contract with her employer will no longer be renewed due to downsizing. Her start date was August 26, 2002.

If she gives a 2 week resignation notice prior to June 30th, in order to double up on courses with her Masters program, would she still be eligible for unemployment compensation?

After June 30th, does she need to show proof of job search for unemployment benefits while still being considered a full-time student?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If she resigns from her position she would be ineligible for UI benefits UNLESS she can prove that her quitting was due to some illegal act on the part of her employer, or if the employer was requiring her to take a different job with a significant wage loss.

In addition, to be eligible for UI, you have to be ready and available for work. I don't see how a FT student could do that. And for your final answer, yes, she would have to do a work search if she was subject to a job elimination.
  • Thank you Linda.

My sister did not want to believe me, but she did listen to you. I guess I will always be the little sister!

Thanks again
  • I agree with the above regarding resiging and not being eligible.

As far as being a full time student, you will have to check with the state in which she is applying for benefits. In Iowa, if you are a full time student (and meet certain other conditions) you can still receive unemployment benefits.
  • I don't know your state's law, but in many states, if the student was laid off from a job that was had outside school hours, and she remains available for similar work, outside her school hours and is seeking such work, she would be eligible. Going to school doesn't necessarily preclude a clamaint being determined eligible.