Raise...or NO raise?

We have a transcription department, company policy is 3 hour turn around on all ALL reports. This is busy season, very very busy. One of our transcriptionists told her supervisor yesterday that our main competition has offered her a position with a sizeable increase in pay. Now, we have no doubt she is telling the truth, my dilemna is this. I am so tired, so very tired of being held hostage by employee's. I want to suggest we start advertising and let her go her way. However, the immediate supervisor and bus op manager are all wanting to run to her, soothe her overworked brow and give her whatever she asks for. I think I may have to fold their way as if I do not, later, down the road when productivity ain't happening, HR will be blamed. What says the forum?
scorpio

p.s. Maybe I am taking this personally??? yep, damn right (can damn get me in trouble with the police?) It just seems like THEY do this continually and I am tired of it.x:'(

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Scorpio:
    For what it's worth-------- I'd let the immediate Suprv and Bus Op person make those operations decisions and relieve you of the apparent burden for tolerating what they're doing. Assuming your role is in HR, seems to me you're fretting over something that isn't worth the battle. Judgement calls like this are made everyday and sometimes we (HR) have to support the issue regardless of whether we truly agree. You've likely got bigger issues to deal with and as Tonto used to say to the Lone Ranger-----"me no like the taste of this".
  • If she is a good worker - and her supvisor's think she is worth it - wouldn't it be "cheaper" to give her a raise than to pay for advertising, take the time to interview, send out no-thank you letters, drug tests, background checks, offer letters, training the new employee, as well as the possibility of the "new person" not working out then having to start ALL over.

I also agree with Down-the-middle - it should be the supervisor's decision.

Good luck!
  • I feel your pain! Yes they do it continually everywhere and management will almost always ere on the side of mo' money, mo' money, becuase they don't want to hassle with downtime and/or training new employees, etc. As frustrating as that is, your role is to provide insight and information, their role is to make the decision, even if you know its the wrong one. They get to live with it. How I handle these situations is I make sure I've provided insight and information, including that the employee is looking for another job and will do so again, and that I don't believe a salary increase will solve the problem, that they should get ready for the decline in morale from coworkers who work just as hard but don't get any raise at all because she will, again I say will, tell them, then let them make the decision, which of course, will be to coddle her. The day will come when you will be vindicated and they'll all know that you "told them so."

• OK, you give in to her and give a big raise and she stays. How about the other transcriptionists? Is she worth more than they are? Are you being unfair to them? Are you perpetuating a perception of unfairness and that the squeaky wheel gets the grease? What will you do when the other transcriptionists demand the same raise? What would you tell an DOL auditor who questions your compensation policy and its ostensible inequity. I hate being held hostage, and very rarely give in just because it raises so many other issues. But as another poster said, don't make that decision on your own. You may have to put on your "used car salesman" jacket and do a good sales job on management to convince them to make the right decision.
  • I disagree with the others. If you are paying these positions correctly in the market, you need to let her go and recruit someone else. Unless your job market is MUCH different than mine, there are others who are looking for jobs. The big problem with this situation is: What are you doing to your class and comp system? If this person is not in a protected category and others in the same position are, how do you defend your position against the discrimination charge?
    That's not to say that you won't be blamed, but which battle would you rather fight?
  • I'd rather let the person go and recruit someone new. We have a hostage-taker here, too, raking it in because she's a whiner and a screamer. I'd rather go to the trouble of replacing her than to have the co. continue paying her waaaaaaaaaay more than she's worth to keep her quiet. It does affect the others' morale, too. People like that are useless.
  • LindaE:
    Are you in an HR leadership position??? Someday this same "situation" will come your way and won't it be interesting when you hear---"she's useless"..........
  • Is the competition paying all their transcriptionists more or does this one produce more thereby being a cut above all the others? I think there are two fundamental questions to answer outside of the production crunch you are currently enjoying. I already asked the first one, the second is: Does your pay range reflect current market values for transcriptionists salaries?

You will certainly have to address this issue over and over again if you are under the market. Your competition will snap up your trained people for every opening they have.

If the one in question is a superstar - then paying her is justified. If she is not and if your salary is otherwise competitive - then you should consider Hunter's advice and bite the bullet.
  • O.K. Marc, some answers- No, the competition does not usually pay more. They have lost 4 transcriptionists in the last month alone. They are promising ridiculous incentives to get people to go work for them. As for the pay structure in this department, if we raise this woman to what is being promised by the competition, she will make as much as her department lead. Someone else asked if she is a star ee - Absolutely, no way. She is a trouble maker at every turn, questioning everything, doing her 8 hours and out the door. The other thing I forgot to mention is our transcription ee's make an incentive bonus every month. Darn, I don;t get one of those monthly. Anyway, I have heard the good advise, it seem's the forum is divided. As for me, I have done my part. This person may be appeased for a bit, but, she will be out looking again in no time, raise or no raise. Some people are just never content no matter how you try. Thank you all for your opinions. I shall let the supervisor and bus op manager run on this one. When the time comes, and it will, I will gladly run an ad to replace her.
    scorpio
  • Scorpio, I'm late in weighing in, but I support what you said if that helps you any. :>) In a vague recollection, I think the forum has said that even if you try to match an employee's offer somewhere else, chances are good they'll be gone in six months or so.

My Prez is very key on looking at an employee's wage, how they fit in the big picture company wide, and what they are actually worth. You know all this, sounds like the supervisor and mgr don't. Good luck.
  • Scorpio: I'd let her go based on what you said and recruit another person. Doesn't sound like she is a "stellar" performer and is a trouble maker to boot! She won't be content with this. She gets her way this time and she goes further. I see it all the time in our practice and we do have a few people who have gotten away with this in the past....and it always causes equity issues with others.

I have found that the need for transcriptionists will be waning more and more as electronic medical records comes into vogue. Many of these folks are looking to retrain in another field or get the money while they can.