Construction Industry

I'm trying to gather some information on training and safety in the construction industry.

We specifically do land surveying. Our crews drive from the office to various sites each day working with special surveying equipment.

I'm brand new to this industry (90 days) and just now have an opportunity to start implementing procedures for safety and training. This is a fairly new, steadily growning company with absolutely NO human resources procedures in place (except for a vauge handbook written by a corporate lawyer).

Anyway, if anyone is in this industry or field and has some wisdom to share, I would be glad to speak/email with you.

Thanks!

JM

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've spent some time in the industry, but not in the capacity you are interested in. That said, I have had great success with local inductry associations. They offer many tools and training with respect to training. Try the AGC (Association of General Contractors) or the local Building Association. Both should be in the yellow pages.

Good luck.
  • AGC is the Union folks though........ABC Associatied Builders & Contractors is the non-union version.
    ABC has all the items you would need to get started from a safety standpoint. Send me your email address and I will email you my company handbook, and my semi generic company safety manual. I am in construction, but a GC and not a surveying crew. Also your local safety council may be of assistance.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Hi, JM! We're construction, too, and until about 4 years ago didn't even have a vague handbook or anything else HR related! Start with OSHA - free downloads of safety sheets in English and Spanish, and the J.J. Keller website is good for safety meeting outlines and training, too - there are numerous free downloads that may help. We're industrial insulators, so I can't be much more specific, but even the DOL has safety meeting information you can download. It's a good start!
    Linda
  • You just reminded me of something......

[url]http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Construction/index.htm[/url]

This will be a big help.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman