CRAZY attendance policy....

I almost fell out of my chair when my boss (president of the company) stated that she no longer wants to discipline or terminate people because of attendance. She feels that not getting paid is punishment enough. The other officers of the company as well as myself feel this would get out of control. Does anyone have or has had a "no attendance policy"? If so, how does it work for you. All comments, concerns and advice will be appreciated.

I hope you are having a GREAT day!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm laughing out loud! Your president's view lacks logic for the following reason: employees who are disciplined for chronic attendance problems are already losing pay, yet still missing work, so obviously they're willing to settle for a little less pay in exchange for not showing up. What tends to motivate them more is the thought of no paycheck at all...termination.

Tell her to take a lesson from child rearing - if you want to stop a behavior, come down hard on it the very first time & every time thereafter.
  • Oh, come on, it might work - if you have no production schedule to keep, no work that has to get done, at least two employees to do each job, etc. Sounds like a new form of 'family friendly' workplace. Go for it!
  • I don't know how to properly spell cockamamie, but her notion is certainly that! The people who miss work do so for a reason and typically the reason is because they want to do something else that day. (I'm excluding genuine illness from this discussion). The employee has already done the standard 'kitchen table analysis' and has determined that they can survive on one day less pay and they don't show up that day. It will be a tremendous (and disastrous) reward if the company applies no discipline for attendance issues. In other words, you have an unacceptable behavior followed by no consequence. What a field day your employees will have! Once the word gets out on the street, you will suddenly be what we call "An employer of choice" in the community.
  • I would suggest a "for cause" drug screen be performed immediately.
  • The "no consequences" for EEs would have disastrous consequences for the Company. Imagine the day when the receptionist, his/her back-ups, and entire departments do not attend. The company's hands will be tied behind it's back as it walks up the steps of the bankruptcy court, crying all the while " but we were so EE friendly!"
  • It is moments like these that make me appreciate the "Dilbert" comic strip oh so much more!

What did you mean when you say "She feels that not getting paid is punishment enough." Don't your employees have to use PTO or something to cover an unexcused absence or tardy?

• Sweeeet! :DD

I hate terminating people for attendance issues. I hate listening to the excuses of folks that are habitually tardy. I think it could really free up some time for HR/Management and employees if we didn't have to think about attendance issues any more! Hooray, the yokes have been lifted, we're free I tell you, free!

Except...do I have to do Susie's job when she doesn't show up? What a second, what's my motivation for showing up to work if Billy Bob doesn't have to - I can go without a day of pay. Oh, man, will the customer be okay if the product/service is delivered late because John Boy showed up late? Oh well, the customer must be okay with it because this decision came from the top, the president no less! I hope this decision doesn't apply to the sales force - I really want to participate in the profit bonus - need the money actually - and they better show up! Come to think of it, it better not apply to payroll either - those sons of guns better show up time and be there every day because I want my pay check on time! Man! They let me go for attendance, sure I know I went beyond my paid time off by 30 days this year, but I thought they had a no attendance policy - oh well, I guess I'll qualify for UI benefits because they don't have a clear policy...

I hope she was just brainstorming and not serious.
  • The Pres is off the wall on this one. Did you say "she"? Impossible!
  • Something else to consider, noHR, is even though they're not getting paid for that time, they're still getting benefits. I'm having to take a long hard look at some people we have on our insurance who aren't here enough to justify having them on our policy. In that respect, they're still getting "paid"!