Seeking better position in HR

I have come to the end of the road with my current employer. Even though it is a good company there is just so much a small (under 100) company can pay and produce as far as HR is concerned. I have been in my current position, HR Generalist, for almost 2 years. While here, I have obtained my PHR (which was not recognized or compensated) and will complete my Masters of Arts in HR in May. I am ready to move to greener, more strategic pastures. My pay is way below what HR Generalists are paid in the area and judging from what the new budget says for next year, there is very little room for increase.

My question: As I prepare to interview for the next level, is there a good book of interview questions for HR professionals looking for upper level positions that anyone knows of?

Or, does anyone have questions prepared for HR Manager or HR Supervior position they are currently using to help me prepare.

What are some other things to consider as I move to the next level of my HR career. (I have never had direct reports)

You can email them to me directly.

To all of you with great advice....I owe a lot to the PHR and Webster University but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, the employee is in your face or the manager is so wrong my teeth hurt, I have been able to click on hrhero.com and find the perfect solution at the perfect time on the forum.

Thanks for grooming me to be a PROFESSIONAL IN HUMAN RESOURCES!!!!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's not clear to me. How many years experience do you have in HR? Almost 2 years or more?
  • I apologize for not being clear. I have over 2 years experience in HR, closer to 4 now.

• Having been behind the HR desk for more years than I care to count, there are some things that need to be said.

Bravo on your receiving your PHR and on having the stamina for going on to your Masters. However, book knowledge is good but now you will be expected to apply that knowledge to real life encounters. Your decision to move on may enhance your skills and expertise.

You asked for some things to consider. I have no idea what you mean by "the next level". Is it HR Manager? If your exposure to the HR world has been extensive and with a wide range of diverse situations, you may luck out. But at this point in your career, I would recommend that you get a few more years of practice under your belt before you venture too high.

The questions that will be asked will depend on the company and its needs in HR. They may want examples of your people skills, union exposure, samples of your writing ability, training background, salary administration, budgets,etc. As you can see the scope is limitless.

Just be yourself, open and sincere.

• I to have been in HR longer than I like to remember sometimes. But, I agree with ritaanz, just be yourself and honest. Let your personality, education and experience answer the questions. I don't beleive you can prepare for an interview, unless you know the company and exactly what they are looking for.

Best of luck in your search.
  • Along with the advice above, I would check with my local library assistant and see what book(s) they recommend. I know what you mean about being ready to move on! Good luck to you in your search!