Phoenix University

Does the University of Phoenix actually exist in the form of a campus or is this an online hoax? I've had two candidates recently tell me they were enrolled online at the U. of Phoenix.

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have seen a high-rise building here with the name on it. It's real, but in my personal opinion, it's a diploma mill. I knew a person who got a "degree" before online "education".
  • There is an actual suite of offices for the University of Phoenix here in Cleveland (actually Independence), Ohio. I don't know anything about them but they do physically exist.
  • As others have said, it does indeed exist. You mignt try a search on WSJ, it seems to me a cuple of years ago they did a story on Phoenix - and if I recall correctly - viewed it favorably, but I'm not sure enough to give it a solid recco. My reccollection is that it was strictly business oriented, and although online, was fairly rigorous. If you find out interesting info, how about letting us know?
  • Yes, there is a physical building with the name on it. However, I have first hand knowledge of how they operate. My middle son was scheduled to get his degree in May of '03 when he and his "advisor" realized that there was a speech class that had not been taken. All of the speech classes were full at his University so he checked into Phoenix and enrolled in a speech class. He attended one class session, got syllabus of due dates for speeches and topics. He then wrote his speeches and E-mailed them to the instructor with the exception of his "FINAL", which he had to record and send in. He got an A.

I can't totally call it a Degree Mill, but IMHO, pretty darn close.
  • I guess one could also check the better business bureau website to see if there were any complaints filed.
  • I can also speak first hand as I was formally an HR Administrator for the Apollo Group, parent company of the University of Phoenix as well as a student prior. I must admit, I had the same thought process; before joining the HR department I became a student. Their curriculum is primarily business based, from bachelor's through MBA's. They also offer nursing degrees and degrees in education. Having worked in the Academic Affairs department and then in HR, I saw first hand the priority given to the educational experience, expecially because many large companies pay for their employees to attend and further their education. It is fully accredited by the same national accreditation boards over all standard US universities. They must be to offer government funded student loans (which they do). The online option was minimal a few years ago but no doubt it has grown. My experience with the online classes were that they were complex but mostly from the book, not much interaction; mostly on your own. The in class option really focused on learing to work together as a team, overcoming conflicts, managing projects on time, presentations, job sharing, etc. All real world applicable experiences. It's been a few years since I left the company but I am happy to answer any questions I can.
  • I suppose the bottom line is whether or not they ARE indeed acredited in particular states. I can't get our State Institutions of Higher Learning office to return my call. Maybe they don't exist either. I think I've read on their website where their offers do not apply in Tennessee.

Like Popeye implies, I can't see the reality of getting a speech class passed online. Wouldn't that be like trying out for the Dodgers online?
  • Do not confuse them with the fictional universities that offer a degree for "life experience" (and a specific amount of money) and are not recognized by any genuine accrediting body. U of P is a fully accredited University and according to my wife was actually harder than the MBA program she was in at Drexel. Having seen her level of work firsthand I would agree. She was constantly on the computer. I must say I much prefer a classroom environment. What's interesting is how many traditional universities have copied their business model.
  • My wife is a college instructor, MBA, PhD in Education with an emphasis in Computer Science. It is amazing how many colleges/universities are offering on-line courses at all levels. I know of many courses that you can take on line and some you must go to campus to take the final exam but not all. We have a university here in town that offers an evening MBA program that is totally set up in a team work atmosphere. Your group takes one course at a time as a team until you have completed their program. I am not sure that I agree with this arrangement, but they are turning out a bunch of MBA's.
    The "traditional student" is changing dramatically from the 18 - 19 year old just out of high school that is living in a dorm.
  • Popeye, I am curious, did he get 3 credit hours for the speech class and how long did it take? In a traditional setting, this would mean 3 classes a week, one hour each, for about 4.5 months.

I took speech in college, and we had to GIVE SPEECHES. Debate was a major part of it. Otherwise, isn't it sort of like an essay class?

I'm not sure this is a good direction in higher education either. Couldn't someone else do the work? An important part of education is discussion, synergy, interaction, and class participation. If you don't go somewhere to take an exam, are they open book?

When these institutions advertise a xxx degree in xxx length of time, is their real goal to grant a degree or impart knowledge?
  • .....But, more importantly, from an employer's perspective, if the job description requires a BS in Engineering, a degree in physical science, a BS with a concentration in accountancy or 23 hours in a Human Resources discipline how in the world are we able to ensure we will be able to find that if anybody can crank out whatever document they choose to?
  • Because the US Department of Education sets the standards that the accrediting bodies must adhere to when they, in turn, accredit any given college or university. Yes, there are many, many bogus educational facilities out there that are nothing more than a P.O. box and a bank of offshore phone lines. You just have to make sure that the college or university is accredited by an accrediting body that is recognized by the US Dept of Ed.
  • Yes, there is an U of P. My sister-in-law attended and earned her degree in medical/hospital administration. However, it was not online. She attended classes and worked in a team environment.

The schedule is grueling with lots of research and term papers. She received her degree last month and we attended the ceremonies. There were about 500 graduates.

The only complaint I heard was regarding the team concept. If you happended to get on a team that had one or two slackers, the rest of the group had a hell of a time getting a project done.
  • YES, it does exist. I am currently finishing up my BSB/M. I actually go to a campus, but you can also take "online" courses.
  • I finally just spoke with our state department of education's accreditation department. They do not recognize Phoenix in Mississippi because they do not have a nexus in this state and there is no way for them to review their courses or standards and practices, or so I was told. I asked what the impact is of this department not 'recognizing' them. She said none of the internet programs will appear on their list of approved colleges and universities and it is therefore up to the student and employer to decide what degree of value they attach to the grade or diploma. While she had me on the phone she went to Phoenix's site and said they don't seem to list anything about accreditation and she remarked that typically a college will list that prominently.

• I guess she missed the word "Accreditation" at the bottom of the U of P home page. Turns out they are accredited by the same body (North Central Association) that also accredits Harvard, Princeton and Yale....but perhaps they don't count in Mississippi either.
  • Correct. Liberal French schools are not acceptable either.
  • Hey, if Yale and Harvard were good enough for the President they should be good enough for y'all. Don, I need a recommendation from you for a great place for ribs in the New Orleans area, which I will be visiting in the early spring. Any suggestions?
  • The famous rib restaurants are approximately 350 miles due north of New Orleans in a little town called Memphis. New Orleans is famous for Cajun food, seafood, steaks and imaginative massages. You may find ribs down there, but it'll be somebody who was run out of Memphis who's cookin' 'em.
  • Probably Mississippi is looking for accreditation by SACS -- the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. I didn't see Phoenix U. listed on their website's list of accredited insitution.
  • This appears to be spiraling out of control. We've agreed that PU is accredited by one of the six accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

What The Don is hanging his hat on is that MS will not "recognize" PU to confer a degree in their state much the same way they would not recognize Yale or Havard if they set-up shop down south unless and until they get accredited by their regional accrediting organization.

If you're teetering so close to the edge on this candidate that the curriculum of his alma mater is in question then he's probably not worthy of rising to the next level in the selection process.

Gene
  • I'm not teetering at all as I haven't had a drink in days. The quandry, Gene, is simply about whether the institution is a credible one or whether they just crank out documents for cash.

PS: Crout; I did an archives search. You can resurrect and re-read the thread on New Orleans food from a year ago. It has a lot of hogwash and jocularity in it, but there are some great posts about great food too. Here's how to bring it up. Go the Search, enter New Orleans on the first line, scroll to subject and archives. It'll take about 5 minutes to come up and it's down near the bottom. Great food. I've made myself hungry all over again. I ate everything in site when I was there last October, but, no ribs.
  • Excellent! Thanks....I remember the thread now. Oh man, I can't wait.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-04 AT 10:15AM (CST)[/font][br][br]FYI, I watched a show on Food Network about Barbeque (even the evolution of it's spelling!). It seems there are 3 basic origins of bargeque in the US. Memphis, Kansas City and Texas. Memp
  • Hey Don,

As a student at UoP, I wish they did crank out diplomas for cash. It is pricey, but I work my a** off. Classtime is 4 hours a week and team time is a minimum of 5 hours a week. Classes are 5 weeks long, worth 3 credits and very intense. Boeing, Washington's largest employer, recommends UoP to their employees. :-)
  • University of Phoenix does exist -- it is designed for adult education if I am not mistaken. You can check to see if they are accredited the same way you would check any other college -- if in doubt about a candidates degree I would ask for tr4anscripts.