volatile manager

We have a small office about 30min away. They've always referred to themselves as the "red-headed stepchild, out of sight-out of mind", etc.
Anyway, hired a new manager about 2 years ago. He has made tremendous strides and really increased the productivity in the office. However, there have been complaints about his behavior. We are now up to 3 formal complaints. Manager curses (a lot)out loud & at people, slams objects in his office, allegedly talks about subordinates to other co-workers. You get the picture. We now have a new hire (3 weeks) who wrote a 3 page letter describing incidents in detail and has also thrown in the phrase "hostile environment". Some employees think this manager is great, some hate him. They all agree he is a hard-a** and that going through his bootcamp is hell, but it made them better at their job.
While I agree he is a jerk, he hasn't done anything illegal. We are meeting tomorrow to discuss further action, which is leaning towards termination. He was told at last discussion that another complaint would be cause for further action. Oh, one more thing, the new ee who wrote the letter is really not performing and has just been given a memo about stepping up. Hmmmm... could a part of this be sour grapes? How do you balance a manager who is a hot head yet gets the job done? I don't see him changing and I'd rather deal w/his termination than a lawsuit. I don't have tolerance for a manager who behaves this way. We can find someone else to lead the team who isn't verbally abusive to their employees. I am afraid I may get pushback from management. There are 4 involved in this decision and so far it's 2 against 2 (male/female). Your thoughts? Am I being a "weenie" as one manager accused? :)

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-03-04 AT 03:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]This may be a little late but many colleges and jr. colleges offer courses and/or seminars and/or training for managers in many areas including anger management. We have found them helpful.
  • Regardless of the complainer's performance, this guy is a jerk and a real liability. Sour grapes? Could be, but the employee's performance issues are a separate issue that you'll want to address as well. Follow your discipline policy and show the manager the door.
  • Have had this same situation. What we did was a review on the individual. Was told exactly what needed to be changed. Wrote an action plan on how things were to be changed and gave a time frame. Did a review after this to see if things had improved. You then have a papertrail to document your actions. Might want to try reading the book "Good to Great" - gives some good tips.

Did the new employee write the letter after the writeup? Something else to consider.
  • Good performers can be a rare commodity. If you are sure his talents are generic enough to be replaceable, then go for it. Before I took that step, I would want to be sure it would not be better to send this guy to some trainings to work on his bad issues but be able to retain his good qualities.

If you have provided him with the training and guidance and he is not changing, then one bad lawsuit/settlement would more than offset the lost profits while transitioning to a new manager.

Oh, and follow your progressive discipline policy with respect to the under performer. If he is in an introductory period, it might be best to get rid of him as well.
  • Have any of the decision makers spent a day at the office to see things for themselves? That could be very helpful. I would do everything I could to turn the guy around. Explain specific behavior that is not tolerated and follow through. If that has already been done and he has not changed, fire him.
  • I read most of your post but quit reading when you said he 'hasn't done anything illegal'. Then I recalled a few sentences back when you said one of the complainants mentioned hostile environment. That very well could be illegal. Investigate immediately if not sooner. Anyone savvy enough to mention hostile environment in a letter of complaint is certainly savvy enough to know and assert their rights to protection under the law, including suing you after the EEOC charge.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-03-04 AT 04:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Management by intimidation may get short-term results, but your company will lose in the long-term by loss of valuable employees, low productivity, possible legal fees because while Hostile environment is technically/legally associated with behavior directed at a protected class, there are more and more cases/lawsuits filed for the behavior you've described. You balance the manager by telling him how you expect him to manage, period, and offer him opportunities for training at the company's expense. If he can't/won't do it, find someone who can. Your 2 "against" need to look beyond current increased productivity to the decreased productivity and potential costs if something doesn't change and fast. As for the complaint coming from the new employee, it could be sour grapes, or it could be a new employee struggling to learn the culture and the job, who has moxie enough to stand up to a hard***.
  • I don't know you, so it's quite possible that you ARE a weenie, but that doesn't mean you don't have a valid point of view. I don't see anything here that can't be resolved with an apology, ASSUMING that your manager genuinely wants to change his behavior. But if he's not buying what you're selling you might as well cut him loose. If he really does have an anger problem I wouldn't think that telling him his head is on the chopping block will do anything to lower his anxiety. However, if he has developed this angry demeanor in order to motivate his employees you might offer him some training. The funny thing about managing through fear is that it does work, and it is quite possible that he came from that kind of environment.
  • He defintely came from the "old school" management. I just can't see allowing this type of culture to continue to exist. He has been told exactly what type of behavior will not be tolerated. Included his cursing, yelling and throwing things around the office. That's just ignorant. While I agree there are some redeeming qualities, they aren't redeeming enough. And I don't think any amount of training will help. He's been in management a while and I can't see anyone changing their entire demeanor at this point in their life. We plan to meet later today. Will keep you posted as to our decision.
  • We had a guy like this and got stuck with a stress-related workers compensation case, AND an EEOC sexual harassment charge. It cost big bucks.
  • Maybe your crystal ball tells you he won't change, but did you offer him training and if so did he refuse?
  • Does cursing and profanity violate the code of conduct in your employee handbook? If so, I'd write him up for the violation and include the statement that future violations will result in termination. If it's in there (and it is in most I've seen), it has to apply to all employees, not some of them. As far as not doing anything illegal, that shouldn't be the ethical standard that we measure ourselves against(my two cents!). We're as ethical as the law makes us be? Do the right thing and hold this manager accountable for his poor treatment of employees under his area of responsibility. Good luck with this situation!