Donation of PTO

Have an employee who has run out of PTO, other employees know that this is a hardship on him. He is out on Family Medical Leave. They would like to donate a day of PTO to this employee. Has anyone else out there done this and is so, were their any complications or legal issues that arose with doing this.

This is something I have not come across before but I have heard of it being done.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have had people donate their time in the past and have not had any problems surface thus far. However, we do not have a formal policy on this. If an ee wishes to give a day or two to another ee, they make their wishes known and the gift is given.
  • When I worked for the bank the employees could give up to 2 of their vacation days to help an employee in need. I never came across any problems.
  • We do not have PTO, we have designated sick, vacation and personal time. We just encountered this earlier this year. One of our ee's had cancer. Other ee's wanted to donate some of their time. We went to our attorneys. They drafted an agreement between the ee and the company. EE's were allowed to donate sick time only. As many hours as they wanted, as long as it did not take them under 40 hours of accrued time. It worked well. Our ee with cancer was able to get a full paycheck through June of this year (approx 6 months from his diagnosis). Unfortuneately he passed away at the end of June.
  • While we don't have a formal policy on this, we have allowed employees to donate any amount of their earned vacation to another employee.

I don't do a day for day donation though. I convert the time donated to a dollar amount then convert back to hours to give to the receiving employee.

So, if the donor's hourly rate is $20. an hour and he donates 2 days (16 hours) he is giving $320. The receiving employee has an hourly rate of $10.an hour so he will receive 32 hours of paid vacation.

Hope that helps.
  • We have a sick leave pool to which employees can donate their sick leave for use by any employee who has exhausted all paid leave due to catastrophic illness. Active employees can donate up to three days per year, and terminating employees can donate all their remaining sick leave since we do not other otherwise compensate departing staff for their sick leave balance. Here's the main thing I want to emphasize: Employees may not designate the leave for use by particular individuals, which is a restriction I highly recommend. Use of the pooled leave should be based on the degree of need and not a popularity contest.
  • We do not have a PTO program. We have a formal policy wherein employees may choose to donate vacation only when specific needs are established. I would never recommend that employees were able to donate sick leave. Sick leave is available for use when an employee is sick and is not paid out at termination.

Our program works well and we have had few problems.
  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The employees approached the company in being able to do this. Have decided to let them with some restrictions. Probably will have them keep at least 40 hours of PTO available for their own use inasmuch as PTO also includes holidays, sick time, vacation, etc.

I really appreciate everyones' help and ideas.