Communicable Disease at Work

I received an anonymous letter from a customer informing me that one of our managers was overheard telling another customer that she had tested positive for hepatitis. The manager works directly with customers by collecting money, making change, and serving drinks. Since the comment was overheard in a public place (our store), do I have the right to ask the employee is she hepatitis and if so, which one? Can I request that she provide me with documentation from her health care provider as to her disease status (active/inactive, type of hep virus, how contagious she is, how long will she be contagious)? If I can question her, what can I do if she refuses to provide documentation? I would really appreciate any insight into this. I have not contacted the employee or a legal attorney at this point. Thanks.

Becky

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I do not typically acknowledge anonymous anything.
    In my opinion, you do not have the right to ask her anything, nor should you. As my mom would say MYOB x:-)
    Besides, if she was that sick and that contagious, I doubt she would be at work.

• I would suggest you call your local health dept and learn about hepatitis. If you could get hepatitis from collecting money and handing out drinks we'd all have it.

If you are in the food service industry you should be following guidelines that would deal with the spread of these diseases. Like washing hands, etc. Worry about those guidelines not the employee.

You do not have the right to ask her if she has hepatitis (unless there is a food service rule, I'm unaware of). You are begging for a lawsuit if you do. I would ask the manager if they did in fact make those comments and if she did, discipline her. Advise her in the future to keep her personal health information to herself.
  • Just curious Smace, on what grounds would you discipline her?
  • I'm with Sonny. I don't put much credence in anything anonymous.

Just for information, there are several different types of hepatitis and each one is spread in different ways.

Cannot start accusing or asking people if they have certain types of diseases or conditions, especially based on speculation.
  • First of all, I'm making an assumption that they are in the food service business. Second, I said I would discipline her if she admitted to saying it to a customer. My experience is that information like this to the masses could be very dangerous to the business. Right wrong or indifferent it could certainly drive people away. A manager should know better.

Although not exactly apples to apples, I would consider it similar to a manager in a manufacturing environment telling a customer that they make faulty products.

I certainly agree that she should not inquire anything about her disease and even if she has it. Focus on the statement if she can prove it is true.
  • Anonymous tips like this are not worthy of even a second thought. They usually come from a malicious, vindictive individual who is only trying to create problems for the "reported". Just ignore it.
  • You'd be surprise who you're working with. Hepatitis is a bloodborne pathogen as is HIV. It's not transmitted by sneezing, coughing, etc. You're safe simply by using universal precautions.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-04 AT 03:02PM (CST)[/font][br][br] >You'd be surprise who you're working with.
    >Hepatitis is a bloodborne pathogen as is HIV.
    >It's not transmitted by sneezing, coughing, etc.
    > You're safe simply by using universal
    >precautions.

Nope. Tell that to the Chi-Chi's and O'Charley's restaurant chain patrons who contracted it and died. I'm afraid different types of hep get a little bit more complicated than that.

I am very familar with Hep A since this is the one that directly threatens our industry. Instead of trying to type about it, here's some links of interest:

[url]http://www.about-hepatitis.com/articles/chichis/chichis.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.hepatitislitigation.com/[/url]

Gene
  • Thanks for the valuable links. Since my husband is a PA, I am familiar with the different types of hep. At this point I'm not sure which type the employee may have, but if it is type A, and active, then there are definite health issues involved. We are not a food service establishment, but rather a video poker gaming establishment. The employee handles cash, cleans the touch pads on the machines, and does prepare drinks. I'll spend some time on the two sites you listed. Thanks again.

Becky
  • >I'm afraid different types of hep get a little bit more complicated than that.

Four restaurants in the Boston area had employees with Hep A over this past summer. Customers were encouraged to get shots that the Health Dept provided if they ate there between certain dates.

When my mother was pregnant, we thought a relative, who certainly did not bleed on her, had hepatitis, and there were serious concerns about the baby.

Now to the anonymous note...if I overheard that kind of comment, I'd call the health dept, not send a note. That just seems to weird. Did this mystery writer identify the employee by name? If so, how would he/she know the name (maybe your employees wear name tags?)? And why on earth would someone announce to a perfect stranger that they have hepatitis? The whole thing sounds so shady to me. But considering the potential risk, if you have legal counsel, talk to them, thats what they're paid for.

• I wish I had seen this post last week . . . I had Hepatitis C for 26 years without knowing it. During that time I got married and had two healthy kids. I managed without trying (since I was unaware of the disease) to not transmit it to my husband or kids in all those years, nor to anyone outside my immediate family. I agree with the posters who say to ignore the anonymous letter.
  • Our decision is to not address this issue with the employee since it was an anonymous letter, she is an excellent employee, and even if she did have a positive test, if it if Hep A, she may be past the 6 week window of contagion. If we were a food service establishment, I would possibly get a legal opinion, but at this point, I feel any questions would be an invasion of her privacy.
  • Good call! Unfortunately (fortunately, really) for us we cannot take chances on Hep A. Our customers include major restaurant chains (i.e. the golden arches place and the place with the never-ending pasta bowl and her cousin the red crustachean) x;-)

Since our product is very temperature-sensitive and thus not taken to extreme temperatures that would kill these microorganisms (freezing or boiling) we have to be VERY careful about these situations.

Try recalling half a million pounds of finished produce items from just one day of production!

Gene