Personal Illness on the Job..

Here we go! I had an employee that has diabetes and was employed for 9 years. She has never had any problems "at work". Last week, her sugar sky-rocketed and obviously needed to be given an insulin shot. We are a nursing facility by the way. One of the nurses grabbed the insulin and started to administer it. Another nurse shouted at her saying "NO! You can't! You have no authorization from her doctor!" Another staff member from administration said "You have to call her emergency contacts first!" Obviously, we need a policy on what to do. Does anyone know anything about the "Good Samaritan Law"? The insulin was given to her anyway and she was fine. How is non-work related employee illnesses handled on your job sites? I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • TONIA: May I suggest that you should pursue for your company in accordance with OSHA standards to create a safe working environment by having a 1st Responder Team appointed, trained, and capable of responding to these types of issues. First aid, Blood Borne Pathogents, CPR, and the treatment of injuies, with all necessary documentations, certifications, and permissions on-board and ready for the event. Fiberlators is a new piece of equipment that is also making its way into these teams capabilities. Blood pressure and pulse monitoring can also be useful to the person reacting to a fallen co-worker.

Our Health / Work link services company brings to us each year this educational opportunity. Fortunately, we have had only a few opportunities to use these skills but in the cases where we did it paid off in dollar and cents saved and great employee relations. The blood borne pathogents class has helped us alot in the treatment of injuries when blood is a part of the situation.

We have 18 teams each working in their particular location; we only have five of these teams that are within 5 minutes of a medical facility, an OSHA standard.

Hope this helps you work through your company needs in your assessment. Welcome to the forum!

PORK
  • Here's the way I see it: If I ever get a bad paper cut that severs my carotid artery and starts squirting blood all over the room x:o I hope my co-workers will try to stop the bleeding without stopping to make a bunch of phone calls. And if I die, I hope Tennessee has a Good Samaritan law that protects my would-be rescuers from lawsuits.

The rules are different for emergencies. I don't know exactly what the rules are, but it sounds like Pork's people do.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • The Good Samaritan law I'm vaguely familiar with does not include invasive action like injections, emergency surgery and taking off body parts. Emergency first aid, yes, but, I also doubt it would cover an employee giving an injection unless they were part of an emergency care response team. That crosses the line to diagnosis and the administration of medicine.
  • I really appreciate the feedback! I phoned OSHA yesterday and actually ran into a dead end.. all they kept saying was is it work related? Can you believe it? I do understand now that in order for us to help someone beyond first aid, we would need to put together an emergency response team that would give permission to go "above and beyond" and would be able to stitch up that artery! Thanks again! Cheers..
  • The wording of Good Samaritan Laws can vary from state to state. Some protect you as long as you do not exceed the scope of your training in what you do. It protects MD's and others who happen on an accident and have to go beyond first aid in their treatment of the victim. Check the laws in your state first then formulate a policy.
  • You may wish to have this ee sign a paper authorizing staff to give her an insulin shot when needed. This may not be complete protection from liability, but at least you'll have some kind of documentation that you were doing what you believed to be in your ee's best interest, and with her consent.

As for the good samaritan laws...they generally cover nonmedical personnel in an emergency situation. Each state is different. PA has one for lay people and one for medical people acting outside of work.