Employee Awards and tax rules

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-15-04 AT 08:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Just taking a poll here. We give "spot" award bonuses to our employees, which is in recognition of outstanding performance, etc. Taxable, of course. As if being formally recognized with a cash bonus isn't enough, we have a group that is pushing for some "momento" as part of this recognition (since once the cash is gone there's nothing to remember it by, wah wah), and are not interested in certificates. So, we're talking nominal value, $10 or less, and I'm wondering if you guys have insight into the "tax rules" or consequences for giving both a taxable cash bonus and a nominal value momento (non-taxable) as part of the same recognition.

Thanks

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We've been advised by Corporate that things like mementos, logo shirts, caps, pens, etc are not taxable. Cash, gift certificates, other negotiables, yes.
  • We stopped using gift certs and cash as "recognition" because of the tax issue. EE's felt (and fairly so) that it stunk to receive something as a reward and then have to pay for it!

We use things like Logo polo shirts/coffee mugs...semi-practical company related things that help get our name out there, but that ee's would be unlikely to actually spend money on.

• Are you saying that if you give a gift card from somewhere like Walmart, it counts at the end of the year as income for the ee?
  • [url]http://www.incentivemarketing.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=43[/url]

Section 274(j) of the Internal Revenue Code, enacted by the Tax Reform Act of 1986, provides, in general, that an employer may deduct the cost of employee achievement awards given to the same employee up to $400.00 in any year. If the incentive awards are employee achievement awards made under one or established written plans or programs of the employer, the $400 deduction limitation is increased to $1,600.00 per employee.

Under Code section 74(c), however, the same awards are not included in the income of the employee. In addition to being excluded from the employee's taxable income, the employee achievement awards are also excludable for employment tax purposes as well as from the social security benefit base. The employer must report on the employee's form W-2 as wages or compensation any portion of the employee achievement awards that is included in the employee's income. This amount is also treated accordingly for all other tax purposes (including social security tax).

In order to qualify for this favorable tax treatment, an incentive award must be an "employee achievement award," that is, it must be an item of "tangible personal property" transferred by an employer to an employee for safety achievement or length of service. Moreover, the award must be given as part of a meaningful presentation and cannot be the payment of disguised compensation to the employee. Thus, for example, an incentive award will not qualify for favorable tax treatment if it is given at the same time that annual salary adjustments are made, or if it's used as a substitute for a program of awarding cash bonuses. Code section 274(j)(3)(A).

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • I got a headache reading your post and am not sure, in the long run, what it said.

We give out gift certificates basically for things like employees submitting adopted cost reduction ideas. Most of the certs are $25 with a few year end big winners of $100 and $150. Each of our 200 locations is required to send a list to corporate accounting at year's end detailing each of the names and amounts for inclusion on the W-2.

I'm no accountant, just the list maker. Oh, and I have the key to the shirt cabinet.
  • Basically, the IRS provides capped exemptions for employee achievement (recognition) awards, therefore, they are not included on an EOY W2 if they are under the defined limits. It's worth the phone call to corporate to have any company's finance/accounting muckety-mucks consult their tax attorney/auditors to seek clarification on this. Employees generally enjoy their awards that much more when no taxes are associated with them...

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Pricehcs -- don't overlook the key words. The section you cited applies only to awards given for safety achievements and/or length of service.
  • OMG ... so, the bottom line is: Give a gift certificate of $150 dinner or a giftcertificates.com (Great website)for $50 to say thank you to a staff member or reward a staff member for a job well done or a project completed on time, is taxable?
    It cannot be converted to cash, must be redeemed for product. Still taxable?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-20-04 AT 04:31PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, that's correct.
  • I would simply encourage anyone to make the phone call to their tax attorney/auditor. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I believe you'll be glad that you did as well...