need opinions

I just received a directive that all incoming mail, including drug screens, medical reports, EEOC charges, etc. will now be opened by an accounts payable clerk/receptionist, and then forwarded to the appropriate person. I believe this info should only be viewed on a need to know basis!! Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A directive from whom? I would have a serious problem with this. Several years ago, with another company, a decision was made to have an accounting related department rip open and route all mail including HR mail. I went ballistic, just as you are about to, or maybe did already. None of what you mention should be opened by another department.
  • I didn't quite go ballistic YET. But when I voiced my opinion and concerns, the reply was "show me a specific law that we would be violating". Confidentiality issues were of no concern to this person. One reponse was "train everybody in HIPPA and we won't have to worry." Maybe this is a nightmare and I will wake up soon.
  • I don't know who issued your directive but they are out of their mind! There is no reason for anyone to open specifically addressed mail except the recipient. I can understand for generically addressed mail that someone needs to be the clearing house. Your company is asking for big trouble with this one!
  • We had a similar problem and still do occassionally with new firms. If you can, make sure that all such confidential "HR" mail and faxes are addressed directly to the HR dept. or yourself. So much mail seemed to come in just addressed generically to "the company" and the only way the mail room could determine who it belonged to was to open it. As you can imagine they saw all kinds of confidential/personal information. It took awhile to get everyone to change their mailing address to the HR Dept. but it has helped tremendously. I did finally win the battle for them to stop using the automatic mail opener that actually cut off a thin edge/bottom of the envelope. On many occassions, this wonderful machine also cut the pages in the letter into as well.
    Good Luck,
    Dutch2
  • A directive from who?? I would try to explain the importance of confidentiality for your staff and that even though there isn't a specific law for what they want to do, there can be indirect, unlawful consequences. Give them "what if" scenarios.

Good luck.
  • Probably this idiotic policy is somewhat connected to the company's desire to slit open any mail relating to receivables, immediately, if not sooner. I doubt they are concerned with prompt opening of mail demanding payments, since all companies push that as far out as they can.

As with many issues we face on a daily basis, it is often tough, if not impossible, to deal with dunces who have no appreciation whatsoever for the HR function, much less it's confidentiality tenet.

I agree that if you are against the wall with your argument, about all you can do is present a stream of 'what ifs'. List them. What if a drug screen is opened and a positive result is spread throughout the company? What if information related to an FMLA request is opened and the contents are spread around? What if your company's attorney sends you a letter related to an EEOC complaint filed by the individual opening the mail? What if the background check provided by a third party is opened and the person opening the mail has some devious intent with regard to that document? What if your corporate attorney sends you a recommendation for disciplining an employee and that information is spilled across the company? What if your reduction in force plan has been reviewed by someone outside the company and the response to it is opened by a clerk in the accounting department? Need I go on? I could, probably, for an hour.
  • I agree with Don's post. These are a good start on the laundry list of reasons why someone else should not open the mail.

I am just guessing, but an often used internal control tenet is to have incoming cash receipts immediately separated and totaled. The adding machine tapes and copies of the receipts are separately routed, rechecked and compared to the original tapes, etc, etc, ad nauseum. This is quite often in response to some problem with cash receipts, as in MISSING MONEY. Nothing will get the top brass more excited than that.
  • Don't forget garnishments, bankruptcy...I don't think the person who is handing down this policy would want everyone to know about any financial difficulties they might be having. Even HIPPA training everyone won't solve this. Medical records and information are only to be known on an as need basis. There is no end to the liability your company could be facing if they go forward with this. Even if your AP person can be trusted, that doesn't necessarily mean they will use extreme caution when delivering mail that this cannot be seen by anyone else. Why take the chance?
  • Adding to what Don posted, I DID have a receptionist sign for a subpoena for me that pertained to her own court case. Guess what she did? She tucked the order right into her pocket and I never knew about it until I received a letter threatening me with contempt of court charges. The letter came with the signed receipt and that's how I was able to track it back to the receptionist.
  • I would think there would be some HIPAA issues with that. That could get management attention, too, and help you change it.

Half HR