Cat Fights

How would you guys handle this situation?

We have four admin assistants - one of whom belongs to me. These ladies come up with the pettiest complaints imaginable. (Leaving one person to answer the phone system, not letting people know ahead of time when they are going to be out, etc).

I set up a meeting with them to talk about their issues and problems. My AA came out and got me because another AA was "secretly" taping the conversation.

I did not want to get involved in this pettiness and feel that these folks should be big people and work out their own issues. My CEO is about to the point of tossing them all out and starting over again.

I cannot imagine a group of adults not being able to put a problem on the table and come up with solutions without having to tape a conversation or end up in tears.

Advice PLEASE! I don't have time for this.

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If I were in that situation I would sit all 4 of the AAs and let them know that they need to come up with a solution to their issues that they have. Let them know that it has been brought to the CEOs attention and if they are unable to put their differences aside they all may be terminated. I bet that would be a big wake up call.
  • Rockie: Their complaints might be petty to you, just as your complaining about them may be petty to your supervisor, but to these ladies, they feel that their complaints are legitimate. As someone who has been there, it is frustrating to only have one person answering the phone or when you do answer the phone if you don't know who is in/who is out it can be very trying and time consuming.

I would sit down with them ans try to resolve their issues. I'd put a stop to the taping however. Good luck.
  • The sitdown is appropriate, but it must have some parameters established right up front. For the known problems, such as phone coverage and when they are in the office, it is pretty straight forward to establish some formal responsibilities for times when each is expected to cover. If they are not available, it is up to them to find a replacement. Having and IN/OUT board at the reception desk is also a possible answer.

Then, let them know in no uncertain terms, that they are required to work together in the office and they are expected to act like mature, functioning adults. They do not have to like each other, but they must each be an effective team member while they are on the payroll. If any of them or all of them are unable to do this, their future will be freed up so they can find a more compatible work environment and you, as a company, can find more compatible assistants.

This type of interaction can drive you nuts when the people involved take no responsbility for the solutions. Some leadership and firm resolve to have everyone live with the guidelines can show the way.

• Or, why not have your own tape recorder and say "alright ladies, for the record and to ensure there are no misunderstandings, we are going to record this meeting" then put the tape recorder right out in front of them.
  • I agree with Marc's post. I had a similar situation occur years ago between the mailroom clerks and receptionist, who all reported to me. I finally sat everybody down and told them that if they could not resolve their differences like adults and get along, I would replace all of them. It was a wake up call for them and the situation improved in the short term.
  • I would investigate the taping and if I had solid evidence I would immediately terminate that person, then sit down with the other three as marc suggested.
  • I agree with Crout that to "secretly tape" a meeting is a serious matter. That individual's behavior should certainly be addressed. As for the rest, we've all been there and you can probably stop some of it for a while by formalizing the phone responsibilities and setting up set times for breaks, etc. The root cause of this type of behavior is usually boredom with or dislike of the job and there isn't any ultimate cure short of replacing some or all of the parties. I do feel for you though - this kind of situation is a time-waster and better suited for a kindergarten class. It is Friday though -
  • "I do feel for you though - this kind of situation is a time-waster and better suited for a kindergarten class. It is Friday though -"

AMEN Sunny :-) my thoughts exactly! xclap
    scorpio
  • I agree with Sunny. This goes deeper than someone leaving the phones not properly covered and others not announcing when they will be out, etc. A good root cause analysis will reveal what Sunny suggests, plus perhaps a few twists of turfism, jealousy, power grabs and people coveting the others' assignments. It's time to either terminate somebody or tell them all that is the precise next step. Then terminate now or soon and that should clear the air.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-04 AT 08:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Orrrrr, you could do what our mayor suggests. Get a professional trainer in here to give these people an eight-week course on 'how to get along' - at the tune of $20K. Then apply for a grant that will pick up 50% of the tab, leaving a mere $10K out of the taxpayers' pocket.
  • Sam, are you serious? An 8 week course to teach adults how one conducts themselves in business.

I think your mayor needs some bigger challenges. he has too much time on his hands.
  • I'm as serious as a heart attack! One time two of my daughters were exasperating me half to death with their bickering. They were 7 and 8 years old at the time. I got so tired of being the referee and the counselor that I wrapped one of their wrists together with their sister's (very nicely with a scarf). They had to stay that way until they figured out how to get along. It took 5 minutes. I say put them on a project together and the first one who complains gets fired.
  • And too much of the taxpayer's money at his disposal!
  • Please pass my business card to your mayor and tell him I am available for half the cost. I also have my own silk scarves.
  • We have the same problems here among the women. In our case the problems are obvious: management has never sat anyone down and outlined what is expected in terms of productivity, performance, behavior, etc.; and the really big problem is the response I get to wanting to counsel an employee about professional dress and behavior, "Aaaww, that's just the way she is." Sit these people down and make your expectations clear, in terms of not just behavior but their tasks, even if you're repeating yourself for the umpteenth time. Document the meeting. Have them sign a written record of the meeting. Then let them know what the consequences of further cat-like behavior will be.
    Good luck with this. Let us know what happens. I'd like to slip this in my boss' mailbox!
    Linda Emser
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-28-04 AT 07:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Let me tell you from where I sit, these 'cat fights' are not peculiar to women. The men in public works ended up cancelling a cookout because of the heated debates about who was supposed to cook and who was supposed to bring utensils. The cops (largely males) have their petty quarrels that have nothing to do with responding to calls. Our finance department and HR are all females - the two most congenial departments in town.
  • They didn't cancel that cookout! They moved it offsite so they could have beer and not have to invite finance and HR. Another tail-hook party probably.
  • My grandmother could have got great results swinging a two dollar wooden spoon.
  • I can think of some reasons you'd have these Don - but - never mind it boggles the mind.
  • On Thursday nights, for coins, I do Elvis impersonations under the bottle tree. I toss the scarves to the girls in the audience. Sheeesh!
  • And I, dearest Don, am the Queen of England.
  • Your bottle just came down a peg.
  • Sam, you're right. This behavior is certainly not limited to women! Around here in the testerone-laden world of construction, however, it is viewed as an honest assessment of a coworker, ambition, assertiveness (is that a word?) and is acceptable. When the "office girls" do it, it's b------g! I stay out of all of it and just do my job. I only get involved if someone files a complaint.
    Linda Emser