What would you do?

If an ee demanded a 45% raise or else be forced (due to changes in the home income) to look for another job? The ee was just promoted 6 months ago, and next reveiw is in January.

We told the ee that the next change would be considered during the next review. The ee asked then for a letter of recommendation, which I am considering refusing.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I doubt that even in Jan. you would be giving a 45% increase, is that correct. Raises are earned and determined by job performance and not personal circumstances, at least that is how we determine.
  • I would not let an EEs personal circumstances change our market rate pay ranges. If the EE is doing work worth $50,000 a year, no way would I arbitrarily make the pay $72,500. You would quickly put yourself out of business with that sort of approach.

If the EE has to free up his future to try and make that kind of money, I would understand and immediately start looking for a replacement.

As to a letter of recommendation, I would just follow your policy with respect to these types of things. We don't do them here and I would not change that policy just because an EE is in a bind. But, if my company already wrote letters of recommendation, I would do so, and not retaliate against this EE. The letter would be based on his performance, not on his need for a higher paying job.
  • REFUSE AND TELL THE INDIVIDUAL TO START LOOKING! HIS LOYALITY IS SHORT LIVED.

pork
  • I would remind the employee he/she accepted the position at whatever rate, review the pay increases since then, remind that next eligibility date is whenever, and say there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out if you must make the decision to move. We have one of our own who constantly whines about how she cannot make it on her salary, Wah Wah. I told her that her personal finances were not our concern and we were not in the business of accommodating employee lifestyles and to not bring it up again (which is has not to my knowledge). Furthermore, in my case, no way would I give a letter of recommendation because she's a sub par performer anyway. I typically stay away from letters of reference unless I have no doubts whatsoever that my name on a document that asserts their competence will never, ever, come back to bite me.

• What would I do?

I would advise the employee to discontinue the use of hallucinogenics in the workplace. x}>

On a more serious note, I would base the decision about the request for a reference on your usual policies and practices about references
  • 1. I would tell your ee that you are sorry for their financial dilemna but, maybe it is time to move on.
    2. I also do not do letters of recommendation from the company, it is not our policy-However, if it is an ee I valued for their good work, I will do a personal reference.
    3. I am liking the "don't let the door hit you in the *ss idea also. Man, all this ee is trying to do is "hold you hostage" I have some of those myself, its ugly.
    Good Luck.
    scorpio
  • Amen, ditto, an other such stuff.

• Raises should be given on the basis of merit, not need.
  • 45 %? Thats obscene. I'm not so sure I'd want an employee who is so unrealistic to work for me. In addition, employers pay for work, we are not reponsible for maintaining an employee's financial lifestyle. Let him move on.
  • I agree with the above. In addition, I would keep an eye on this ee to see that they do their job. If the ee's pay is in line with what other companies in the area are paying, the ee is unlikely to find a job at the rate they want.
  • An amazing coincidence, but I also "need" a 45% increase. Go figure.
  • Just another thought, the changes in home income sound like a spouse or significant other lost a job or is no longer in the picture to contribute economically. The EE is probably having a knee jerk reaction to the need to replace this income. This might be a time to direct the EE toward your EAP, if you have one. There are also plenty on non-profit debt restructuring companies out there to counsel as to methods to get through these types of situations. That is assuming the change in family income cannot be corrected by the replacement of the job for the other person.

Just a thought.
  • I agree completely with Marc and that was my thought as I read your post. There's not enough info to really provide constructive input at this point, imho. Use this as an opportunity to learn more about what initiated the request. You also don't indicate anything about performance level and whether the person is in a critical skills position. Not that they should dictate how you respond, I really think you should use this as an opportunity to learn more about what's driving the 45% increase request and take it from there.

• If it's an issue of critical skills, could the EE really have taken a promotion six months ago knowing that the job was undervalued by 45%? Stranger things have happened, I guess. That would represent a bad decision from both sides of the coin....for the company to undervalue a critical position and for the EE to take the job.