"Probationary Period"

Well, here I am, back again looking for the excellent advise of the forumites! I am in the process of updating our employee handbook. I was not involved in the original edition as their was no HR Director then.

I have had many conflicting opinions over the term "Probationary Period". I have heard that when you use that term, you are stating that after the 90 days they are permanent ee's till the dirt goes over them. I have heard that it really means nothing and serves NO purpose other than to take up room in your handbook. Then there is the group that thinks it is o.k. to call it a "90 day waiting period" (as in waiting for benefits pkg. to kick in)-What say all of you?
x:-/
scorpio

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use the term "introductory period." But I don't think calling this 90 day period by a bunch of different names changes it's intent. What are they waiting for? After they are "introduced," then what? All of these concepts mean the same thing. You cannot commit Title vii violations during this period or after. The At Will status does not change one whit. It is almost like saying their is a "EXTRA SUPER AT WILL" time peiod, that has not EXTRA SUPER meaning or force of law.

We use it, but every time I think about it, I come closer to abolishing it from our handbook. This is just my moring opinion.
  • We call it Introductory Period
  • We did away with this. We're an at will state so it doesn't really serve any purpose at all.
  • We use the term introductory period and specifically state that during this period a new employee's performance will be scrutinized and regular feedback provided, prior to a formal review at the end of 90 days. The employee also receives no benefits during this period. Once the introductory period is complete, the employee becomes eligible for benefits and is considered a "regular" employee.

As a practical matter, it really serves no purpose other than benefits eligibility, since at-will applies during and after the intro period. For us, it just helps clarify an individual's status during the first few months.
  • I agree w/ Parabeagle's post, with the exception that I do think having a Probationary status for new EEs is at least a potential help in showing justification for terminating a new EE who is not performing. We do maintain such a policy, and I'm in favor of retaining it, even tho VA is a strong at-will state.

While the probationary status changes nothing as to the strict letter of the law, it may change the perception of a jury-- should it ever come to that. I believe it gives the ER a stronger case for termination if it is clearly spelled out in policy that failure to perform successfully during the probationary period may will result in termination of employment.

However, we are very careful to state repeatedly in our Manual that we are an at-will ER, that nothing in the Manual is to be construed as weakening the at-will provision, and that the Manual itself is not to be construed as a contract for employment. We also further state that an EE may be terminated at any point during their probationary period (including prior to the end date of that period) if they are not making satisfactory progress.

>We use the term introductory period and
    >specifically state that during this period a new
    >employee's performance will be scrutinized and
    >regular feedback provided, prior to a formal
    >review at the end of 90 days. The employee also
    >receives no benefits during this period. Once
    >the introductory period is complete, the
    >employee becomes eligible for benefits and is
    >considered a "regular" employee.
    >
    >As a practical matter, it really serves no
    >purpose other than benefits eligibility, since
    >at-will applies during and after the intro
    >period. For us, it just helps clarify an
    >individual's status during the first few months.

• Here is what we have in our handbook along with a footnote.

INITIAL EMPLOYMENT PERIOD
    During the first three months of your employment, your performance will be evaluated periodically by your process manager and reviewed with you. After this written review, you will be asked to sign the form to show that it has been reviewed with you. If you do not agree with something in the review, there is a place on the form for you to make a note of it. At the end of this three-month period you will become a regular employee .

The term “regular employee” does not imply or establish any relationship beyond the employment at-will relationship that exists between the employee and the Company.
  • I don't understand, why would new employees within their first three months receive more performance feedback than all the current, regular employees?

We don't use the term "probationary period" at all. In our benefits' SPD's we refer to waiting periods before benefits begin (1st of month following hire date).

I don't see any purpose served by culling out a "probationary" or "introductory" period. Employment-at-will always gives you the ability to term for performance or for "fit" - just as long as it's not pretextual for discriminatory reasons. And instead, you should be giving ALL employees regular performance feedback, not just the new employees.

{I really don't mean this to sound harsh if it reads that way!}xhugs
  • "I don't understand, why would new employees within their first three months receive more performance feedback than all the current, regular employees?"

From my perspective, the first three months (or so) can be a critical time. It's when a brand new employee is exposed to a particular company's methods of operation, its culture, process, people, etc. It's also the time when both the new employee and company can best determine whether there is a good "fit" within the organization. More feedback and coaching during this period, I think, can assist a new employee in transitioning to their new job and working environment. Just my opinion.

• A couple of valid points are raised - the waiting period to participate in benefits and the need to do some extra coaching to help with fit. The issue that is raised has to do with some idea that once these periods are completed, the employee becomes "permanent." Then, as Scorpio put it, they are here until the dirt goes over them.

To that I would say, don't forget about the 12 week FML and the concurrent STD and LTD that will surely follow.x;-)
  • We have a probationary or introductory period. A major reasons is we are trying to "cull" anyone before the company starts paying for health benefits, pension etc.
  • We dumped the term years ago. We do refer to a new hire period. The only difference for our new hirs and our "old timers" is our progressive disciplin program. We normally have a coaching session, a verbal, a written and then a day off with pay. If all of these fail to result in the desired conclsuion, we terminate the ee. For our new hires, those under 90 days we do not include the day off with pay. Our benefits go into effect the first of the month after your day of hire(a waiting period of 1 to 30 days) depending on what day of the month you were hired.
    Most every HR training program I have attended has recommended that you do not use the term probationary in your hand book.
  • We call it an "orientation period". We state "an employee may be terminated at any time during this orientation period and at any other time during employment. All employees are employees-at-will." (SC is an "Employment-at-Will" state.)
  • I agree with those who suggest an "Initial Period of Employment". I disagree with calling the rest of the employment anything, although I do use "regular". Eventually, humankind will figure out another term for this test period, but until then, we need to call it something!
  • So... are your new employee actually irrgular employees? We too refer to our non-newbies as regular employees. Let me know if you come up with a better term.
    Thanks,
    Dutch2
  • "Eventually, humankind will figure out another term for this test period, but until then, we need to call it something!"

Thank you for your help forumites! I am thinking maybe "newbie...watch out!!!" is what I shall settle on (a little humor).
    scorpio
  • In the service we used to call newbies FNGs, but I won't be the one to explain the acronym. x;-)
  • "In the service we used to call newbies FNGs, but I won't be the one to explain the acronym."

Well, thankyouverymuch Beagle#-o I think I know what it means, but, where is The Don? I bet he would put that acronym out there in a way that would not cause the x:=| to censor it!
    scorpiox:D
  • We use the term Orientation Period - because that is what it is a time to orient themselves to our company and us with the new ee. Also it allows a timeframe prior to offering benefits until it is decided to make this new ee a "regular" ee.
  • A mythical, magical period of time being called by any of these terms has great meaning, depending on your perspective. Depending on who you are, it may mean:

(1) They have stamped on my forehead a mark that tells me and everybody else that for a certain number of days I am less than a real player here, even though they told me I would be when they recruited me.

(2) For X number of days, this place will not invest enough in me to give me the benefits my family needs and they say it's because it would be too administratively challenging to do that since they might terminate me later. I could do a helluva lot better job if I didn't have the added stress of three more months of COBRA.

(3) They've given me two more of these probationary people that requires me to track them and fill out these damned papers on them and evaluate them and hold their hand. Look, I'm the guy you've gotta please. We can fire you for any reason during your probation.

(4) You better hurry up and fire this dunce. Once you let him get past 90 days, you've got his ass forever!

(5) I'm not sure I want to work here. They schmoozed me and courted me during recruitment, then they categorize me as less than everybody else. No benefits, people giving me the feeling I'm under a microscope, telling me I'm outa here unless I please these two people for 90 days.

I'm in the camp that thinks 'probation', 'try out', 'introductory period', 'initial phase', 'orientation period' and 'grunt stage' are as outdated and useless as 'maternity leave'.
    Orientation to the company, gaining benefits, receiving training, adjusting to policies, and learning jobs, taken together, is a process rather than a series of destinations. A horizontal continuum, not a vertical ladder.

I do think the largest outcome of those terms is the notions we give supervisors about what they can do to the employee while in that 'period'.
  • Well now, after reading this last post, I am thinking that the author has never come up against the "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde new ee syndrome"- You get a new employee, for the 1st 90 days they show up on time, their kids are NEVER sick, their car NEVER breaks down, they look for additional tasks. Heck, if they are really cunning, they will even bring the whole office Dunkin Donuts a morning or two.

Then BAM, within a week or so after those initial 90 days, out comes MR. HYDE, their kids develop continuous ongoing illnesses, their car has more issues then a Jerry Springer show, they forgot to mention that once a month for a week they have to leave and go to another state to take care of their elderly parent.

There are definitely two sides to every issue, I was trying to find out what would be the best way to identify the initial employment period. I have never cared for the phrase "probation period" always smacked of San Quentin to me-I think that I shall go with "Oreintation Period" it seem's to say it all.

Thanks!
    scorpio
  • Your hypothetical does not present a particularly bothersome scenario for my or anything I posted. Without even considering how many days the ee has been there, terminate them if your analysis leads you down that path. Being labeled 'orientation' or 'probation' has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of any challenge you might encounter after you terminate. So what have you accomplished by calling them 'in orientation' other than to define the training plan your supervisor is responsible for accomplishing?
  • Exactly! What Don said in both of his posts!xclap
  • This is an interesting thread. Our organization uses "probationary period," defined in policies I inherited as a 90-day period after hire. We also have a 90-day period after a promotion or job change that is called a probationary period, but its meaning is slightly different than an employee's "initial" 90-day probationary period. The 90-day period also doesn't coincide with our benefits waiting. We have two, a 90-day and a modified 30-day, for different classes of employees.

I don't know the logic behind my company's decision to go with a probationary period and have searched for one over the last 3 years.

What I have found is that there may have been a (weak) connection with unemployment in Florida. There does seem to be a stipulation that if an employee is informed within 7 days after hire that he/she is in a probationary period, and if involuntary termination occurs within the first 90 days, the employer can be relieved of an unemployment burden. I've decided that the concept is idealistic and that reality is in the fine print. The fine print seems to be that the employee is disqualified from unemployment benefits until the discharged probationary employee satisfies certain earnings criteria downstream at another employer. Once the conditions are met, the burden is back and the reason for the downstream termination determines whether we pay benefits. Our reason for involuntary discharge no longer has any bearing on the decision on whether benefits are payable.

The second thing I found is that a lot of excess verbiage is required in the policy manual in other policies to explain that at-will is not diluted by a probationary period, and release from probation is still no guarantee of employment (i.e., employees move from "probationary" status to "regular" status).

I am reluctant to criticize my predecessors, but my experience has been that a cost-benefit analysis might yield that its just cheaper to forget any references to "probationary."
  • Interesting thread. For Union EE's, our CBA stipulates the first 4 months of employment as a "Probationary Period". An EE can be fired for any reason or no reason within that time without recourse to the grievance process. Once the Probation is successfully completed, the EE becomes a "Regular Employee." Non-Union folks have....I'm not making this up...."A Getting to Know You Period." Rolls right off your tongue doesn't it? We apparently chose that language back in the Jurassic Period in order to better preserve the At-Will Doctrine. And I have one question for Parabeagle: What's the difference between an FNG and a BFNG? Anyone know?

• Obviously whatever the "B" stands for - Big? or Butt? or ???
  • The "B" stands for "Brand." This was something of a trivia question.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-08-04 AT 12:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We not only have a probation period, we pay differently for it.

The employees know when hired that they will be in a 30-day probation period, which "allows them sufficient time to learn the job"; if they are doing well at that point, haven't had attendance issues, etc., we will raise them $1.00 / hour. If things aren't going so smoothly, we'll extend it to 60 days, or max it out to 90 days, if necessary. We've only had to extend a couple people to 60 days. Usually early in the probation period, we know what type of "real" worker we've hired and it's clear whether that $1.00 / hour is earned or if we need to cut our losses.
  • Yea, we had that as well, and praise God, suspended the 'probationary wage increase' 1 to 2 years ago. Our finding was that the subjectivity of evaluations led to a whole nother set of problems that had to do with disparate wages. Managers were inconsistent in evaluations, thus recommendations for wage changes. And, savvy managers learned to play the system by redefining some employees' job roles/titles periodically, claim a job change/promotion, get a new probationary eval/wage increase opportunity, and manage to get multiple wage increases for select employees in a relatively short time. In a nonprofit, we have records of some folks receiving 20%+ increases within 12 months until a couple of years ago. The twist we had that you may not have is that every job change/promotion incites a new different kind of probationary period--not a new employee probationary period, but a job change probationary period. Complex, complex, complex. I've decided that the whole thing in my organization might just be the result of one or more predecessors who had too little to do and needed the job security. They must have been trying to justify their existance.

• We discussed this at a meeting just yesterday. I thought one of my foreman said it best...... People are going to bring it and show what kind of employee you are in the first two weeks. If you are problems the first two weeks, why would you want to keep him. Specifically we discussed attendance, attitude and effort.
    You must be reasonable.....death in family, a sick child.....but if someone has issues, is missing once a week in the first month or so... lookout.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree with the reasonable part, and I would have agreed with the rest of your statement until I had experience with a prior clerical position in my department (HR) just over a year ago. I am now convinced that some people can disguise their real selves from co-workers.

I hired someone with HR experience to fill my company's HR clerical support position, the only other position in my department besides mine. The new hire fooled us all. Until the 90th day, work performance was marginal but acceptable, and there was a commitment by the person to learn the "corporate way" and improve. I gave what I thought was a fair evaluation and released the employee from probationary status. We discussed strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for improvement, but things turned south quickly. As it turns out, the prior HR experience taught the person just enough to be dangerous, operating just barely within acceptable parameters until the day it came to an abrupt halt--the person walked off the job in the middle of a critical and intense project before a 2nd 90 days was over.