formula for employee turnover

Can you provide me the formula for computing the employee turnover rate.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The one I use is Total number of available positions divided into the Total number of employees leaving the company times 100. Problem is finding a constant number of positions available. Most people use an averaged figure for that. The other dilemma is deciding which 'leavings' to exclude. Do you exclude retirements, leaving during orientation, deaths? If you want a pure rate, don't exclude any. But, If you want to analyze certain things you may want to not have certain departures cloud your analysis.

So, If I have 167 jobs in this plant and 9 people left during the month, the rate would be 9 divided by 167 X 100 or 5.389%.

You may want to do a search of this site for the topic 'turnover rate'. We've had good discussions.
  • Since I'm not good with numbers, could someone please tell me how you would compute a turnover rate for the YEAR? I understand the monthly turnover rate concept but someone is asking for a yearly turnover rate and we're having quite a discussion about how to do it and we can't come up with the answer. Thanks.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-12-05 AT 08:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If you had 100 positions and lost 10 people per month, all year long, your monthly rate would be 10% each month and your average monthly rate would be 10%, but your true annual turnover rate would be 120%, since the number leaving equalled the total number of positions. And if one of your corporate beancounter types asked what the total turnover for a 24 month period was (and don't put it past them), you'd tell him 200%, not that he could do anything with that information.

That's why it's best to look at turnover as a 12 month moving average, which averages your turnover each month during a never-ending 12 month rolling period.

Turnover rates, in and of themselves, mean...well, they actually mean nothing at all. Give me a turnover figure and I'm gonna want to know: which departments, what age groups, how many died, how many were retirements, how many were in orientation, how many quit, how many were fired, how many left for better pay and benefits, how many were rehires.

Another of my famous surveys reveals that, on average, 88% of the people asking for turnover rates are accounting types or have that background and of that number, 97% have no idea what they will do with the answer to the question. x:-)

• DonD-- if you lost 10 people/month x 12 mos, wouldn't that be 120 people, 120/100 = 120% turnover??

I calculate our turnover ratio as the number of staff who leave divided by the total number of approved staff positions in the organization (i.e., the full staff complement). I exclude from this calculation interns, freelance temporaries, EEs who were still in their initial 90 day probationary period when they left, and layoffs (i.e., positions that are eliminated from the organization): everyone else counts-- whether they resigned, were fired, died, etc.

We are a small organization (64 total staff), which makes the calculation a little simpler for us; and also our turnover in any given month is small enough that I'm not calculating turnover on a monthly basis at this time, only yearly.

>If you had 100 positions and lost 10 people per
    >month, all year long, your monthly rate would be
    >10% each month and your average monthly rate
    >would be 10%, but your true annual turnover rate
    >would be 100%, since the number leaving equalled
    >the total number of positions. And if one of
    >your corporate beancounter types asked what the
    >total turnover for a 24 month period was (and
    >don't put it past them), you'd tell him 200%,
    >not that he could do anything with that
    >information.
    >
    >That's why it's best to look at turnover as a 12
    >month moving average, which averages your
    >turnover each month during a never-ending 12
    >month rolling period.
    >
    >Turnover rates, in and of themselves,
    >mean...well, they actually mean nothing at all.
    >Give me a turnover figure and I'm gonna want to
    >know: which departments, what age groups, how
    >many died, how many were retirements, how many
    >were in orientation, how many quit, how many
    >were fired, how many left for better pay and
    >benefits, how many were rehires.
    >
    >Another of my famous surveys reveals that, on
    >average, 88% of the people asking for turnover
    >rates are accounting types or have that
    >background and of that number, 97% have no idea
    >what they will do with the answer to the
    >question. x:-)

• I thought about saying that I did that just to see who was paying attention; but, I knew that wouldn't fly. Yes, you're right! That's my mistake for 2005. Dang!
  • Has anybody else heard the "Statistics Song" on Bob and Tom? I think they stole the idea from Don.

Anyway, I calculate "employee retention percent" - how many who were here a year ago in any given month are still here 12 months later. It's quick and dirty, and I haven't yet run across temps (temp agencies aren't counted, but we hired some walk-ins directly on our payroll as temps), but I will probably toss them out, too.
  • Whether it is the CEO, the HR VP, or the CFO asking for the information does not matter. What matters is what the information means and what you do with it. As indicated by Don, you must peel the onion a bit to understand the numbers. Once you have begun to understand the composition of your turnover rate, then you can begin to focus on what you would like to do to change things, if change is needed.

A wise man once told me "Not everything that can be measured should be measured, and not everything that should be measured can be measured."

• Was that the same man who said he measured a jigger by two fingers, laid parallel, flat against the glass?