Carpal Tunnel Vision

In preparation for a safety meeting, I've been scrambling and calling places trying to get a ballpark figure and it dawned on me that I could get it here, maybe.

Who can give a ballpark figure, from your experience, as to what carpal tunnel surgery and rehab runs, including all costs (hospital, surgeon, anesth). I have figures for knee, shoulder and back but need this one too. Thanks in advance.

The point is to show that it makes much more sense to spend $100-$500 for work station retrofit than it does to face the music or work comp surgery.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • don: i don't know the cost figures but our experience in defending carpal tunnel comp claims is that very few, if any, surgeries "fix" the problem. if the employee returns after surgery to the repetitive motion work activity, the problem reoccurs. wrist braces, modified key pads, etc. are not expensive. acupuncture has a very effective treatment protocol for CTS but our legislators have not seen fit to allow acupuncturists to practice in MS.
    Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • don, you can try calling your insurance carrier or insurance broker to assist you in finding $$ if still that important of an issue!
    good luck
  • Don - we had a carpal tunnel in 1994. At that time the cost was close to $22,000 and that was not the final cost. I am quite sure it is much more now. From our experience the surgery does not make the problem go away. It will return. The only sure bet is prevention. Hope this helps.

Becky
  • Just had a ee who required a release of bi-lateral CTS and trigger finger at $33,000
  • We just had one that was $6,191 for the surgery, still wearing a wrist brace and still bothered with some thumb and finger numbness.

This EE has state of the art work station but still got carpal tunnel.
  • Don: In our area $35,000 is the price tag for the total works. This does not include the impairment rating. We recently experienced another crazy rating of 7% which worked out to be a settlement figure of $55,000.00.
  • I just attended a workshop on carpal tunnel put on by our state safety committee. Some interesting topics they covered:

1) Carpal tunnel is NOT caused by work, it is aggravated by work. It is caused by simply having a "tunnel" that is anatomically too small. The presenter said Kentucky does not pay work comp on carpal tunnel claims. Haven’t followed up to see if it’s true.

2) 1/10 people have it, 1/5 over 30. Women are more likely to get it. It has been around forever, but was frequently misdiagnosed as arthritis or tendonitis. It is usually in both wrists, since it is the way a person is made, not how they use their hands.

3) Pressure in the “tunnel” for a person without CT when their wrist is fully flexed or extended (so your wrist and forearm try to make a 90 degree angle) is similar to pressure for a person with CT when their wrist is in the neutral, non-bent position.

4) The earlier it’s treated, the better the outcome. “Treatments” such as cortisone shots, physical therapy, ergonomics, and time off don’t really help. Splints help, but don’t solve the problem.

5) There is a type of surgery called Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release where they make two small slits (they only use a sedative and local anesthesia) and go in with a tiny camera and tiny tools. The patient could potentially return to work as soon as the next day with restrictions of keeping their hands dry, no pounding, and no use of vibrating tools (like a jackhammer).

I have one employee moving toward surgery, and I have talked to him about seeing a doctor that performs the ECTR to see how it goes. Does anybody else have any experience along these lines? It really set everything I know about CT out on its ear.
  • Three ee's this year have had ECTR with great success, returned to work the next day with minimal restrictions.
  • Believe me, Kentucky certainly does cover CTS. We have had 2 very costly claim just this year. I don't know where the presenter got his information, but they are wrong.
  • HrCalico provides some alarmingly interesting and provocative information. This is really something to think about.
  • There is a ton of CT info on the website of a local doc that does this procedure - it is

[url]www.carpaltunnelrelief.net[/url]

and then click on bibliography. I believe if you find an article you'd like to read, e-mail them and request it.

This guy seems to be the real deal; those of you who aren't lucky enough to live in the Husker state might be able to contact him and see if he knows of docs in other states that perform this procedure.

Safety, did your ees have any trepidations going into this procedure? Did you suggest it or did they/their docs?
  • I especially like the notion that this is not something CAUSED by work, rather aggravated by work. We have quite a few 'older workers' going under the knife and running our WC rates out the roof, not to mention our OSHA reports. My performance goals (and annual salary increase) are in part driven by a demand that I reduce this kind of injuries/comp costs. I personally feel that I absolutely have no control whatsoever over this kind of situation. It's about as controllable as how many of my employees might develop hemorrhoids next year between May and September.
  • HRCalico, to answer your questions, yes. All three were nervous and uncertain about any surgical procedure. They were sent to a specific physician through our WC carrier. 15-minute procedure under minimal anesthesia and return to work the following day, three success stories with the exception of our loss of bottom line dollars and increased OSHA numbers.
  • "Safety"

I would be interested in knowing, assuming that you know, the speciality area of the surgeon that performed the (3) "15 minute" procedures. And, do you know the specific medical procedure performed?

Our experience is that the procedure has become very expensive...$15,000+ compared to just $3,000-5,000 only a few years ago.

• J Mack, I know you didn't ask me, but my guy here is a "board certified orthopaedic surgeon with a certificate of added qualifications in hand surgery". The prodecure is "endoscopic carpal tunnel release" (ECTR).

The chart I have shows carpal tunnel surgery costing between $4,000 - $6,000 with this doc and $16,000 for other docs. That doesn't even count the lost time and etc., and it appears the ECTR puts you out a couple of days versus weeks with the open surgery.
  • Don: I've had two in Alabama and the total costs ran in the $30,000 to $35,000 range. I've been trying to get some job rotation in place but have had little luck.

• Don: $30,000 - $35,000 is what it cost me in AL.

Good luck with getting work station changes - I have tried to sell job rotation but had no success. However, I also have had a few employees with CTS who have not claimed it to be work-related, otherwise we would really have taken it on the chin this year.
  • Our standard practice incorporates job rotation throughout the day for every employee. It sounds good in theory but has done little to eliminate the problem of CT. In a manufacturing environment where you have lots of repetitive motion, it is simply a fact of life.
  • I have personal experience on this one . . . had carpal tunnel surgery many years ago with the incision on the palm of the hand, then participated in the study for the scope procedure and had it done by the dr who invented it. I would highly recommend the scope procedure as the other took me about 3 months to get back to full activity. Even then, it was tender and my activity level was somewhat restricted. With the scope, I was back to work within the week.

I can get you some information on the cost of surgery in the MidAtlantic states if needed, just let me know. However, my surgeries were many moons ago, so my figures wouldn't help you any.

As far as additional problems, I haven't had any additional problems and no disability claims . . .
    but then, I fractured my wrist (after having Carpal Tunnel surgery) and had to have pins put in on a Friday and was back to work on Monday . . . so maybe I'm not the right person to ask about disability . . .

Let me know if you want the figures for the surgery . . .