Rejection Letter

We recently interviewed applicants for a postion we posted on monster. We made an offer to one of the applicants who ended up taking another offer of employment. We are not interested in making an offer to any of the other candidates we interviewed. I need to send a rejection letter and would like some help on the best way to address this as we will post the opening on monster again in a few weeks and we don't want to have everyone calling us back again. Any suggestions for the letter?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • here is one we've used. You'll need to tweek it to fit, as this mentions we've chosen someone else. But you get the idea.

Dear Mr./ Ms. Applicant

Thank you for the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your qualifications for the position of .

While we were impressed with your background and experience, we have concluded that another candidate’s qualifications more closely match our requirements. We sincerely regret that we cannot offer you employment with our organization at this time.

You have our best wishes for success in locating the career opportunity you deserve.

We appreciate your interest and the time you have invested in interviewing with

Very truly yours,

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-04 AT 03:44PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Or, since your continuing your search, "we have decided to continue our search for a candidate with qualifications that more closely meet our requirements."
  • I agree with the other post, you should state on the letter somehow that you are going to continue the search for the position.

Good luck.
  • When you post the opening again why not include a statement of "no phone calls" and when someone calls they are telling you they can't follow directions and send them to the reject pile.

• The letter from HRinGA tells too many falsehoods, about four of them, in my opinion, and I don't believe in telling falsehoods in rejection letters.

My typical letter goes like this:

"Thank you for your interest in opportunities at xyz. A decision has been made to not advance your application to the next phase of our selection process. We wish you the best in your search."

There's really no way to say, "Don't apply again", or "We don't want to hear from you again."
  • Much thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have drafted the following letter for those of you who might run across the same situation:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to interview you for a position with our company.

It is always difficult to choose among the candidates whom we interview. A decision has been made to not advance your application to the next phase of our selection process.

We appreciate your interest in our company and wish you every success.
  • Oh joy - I just sent an email of the letter above to one of our applicants and they responded with an email asking for feedback relating to why they were not selected to help them prepare for future opportunities.

Since I didn't respond to the email - within an hour they were calling our office wanting to talk to me. When they were told I was at lunch they responded that they would call back after lunch!

Obviously - I don't want to get into addressing these issues with applicants. Any suggestions!
  • Jeez, there's no need to run and hide if you make appropriate selections based upon background and qualifications. If you were not involved in the selection process, that's what you say. If they press you for a contact name you say you won't give that out and end the conversation. If you were involved you just say that you selected someone who seemed to be a better fit...that's all. Don't hide and don't make stuff up.
  • Crout - I'm not hiding and yes the selections were based upon background and qualifications. I was involved in the selection process along with the person to whom the position would report. The last thing I would do is make stuff up. One thing you must have missed from the initial request for help was that we haven't hired anyone for this position - we are going to continue our search and place another ad on Monster.com I just don't care to give an applicant the reason behind the decision. The next thing you know you are having to try to defend your decision and I don't care to go there!
  • You've gotta be blunt, to a point. "We don't discuss our selection process beyond what I've told you." or "I don't ever discuss one candidate with another." Once the caller persists or becomes more demanding, you must get more direct, often blunt.

An acceptable white lie is to use the term 'selection committee' which you never, ever define and which typically consists of YOU. Never give out the name of anybody in the food chain at your company, or refer the caller.
  • Don - thank you for your advice. I always hope when I post a question that I get a response from you. You are AWESOME!! Thanks again to all!
  • You do occasionally get the individual who just can't accept that someone else beat them out in the interview process.

I send a letter similar to ones above that a candidate who more closely fits our needs was selected. I do not get into giving a candidate "feedback", etc. If someone gets thru to me, I just simply reiterate what was in our letter and advise they may reapply if another position becomes available.

If you have to be blunt, be blunt. "I'm sorry Mr.Axelrod, I do not give feedback to candidates. The selection has been made and the decision is final."
  • I had one candidate who left a SCREAMING voice mail message on my machine full of X*#!@ because she received a rejection letter. Needless to say, I would never again consider her for a position within the company.

Some people never learned to bow out gracefully. Just screen your calls for the next few weeks. If nothing else, you won't be interrupted by the telephone.

Jewel