Body Oder on the job

This is an age old problem … one I’ve faced before … handling complaints from workers regarding the body odor of a fellow employee. Maybe there is a new approach worth considering.

In this case, two employees work in hot and dirty warehouses in a work crew of seven. The crew is required to share a van when riding from one location to another. The two employees in question are provided uniforms enough to change every day, but do not always do so. Fellow employees complain that the two have odor so bad it makes them nauseous to ride in the same van. Both employees have been counseled to pay more attention to personal hygiene, but the problem continues to surface.

I would enjoy hearing your suggestion … our next step is to proceed to progressive discipline, and I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wouldn't it be nice if the EEs would listen to reason and respond to the first steps of a progressive discipline policy without needing to go further? Looks like that is a pipe dream for these two. You have already started the progressive discipline policy with the counseling step. If that did not work, you need to take the next step.

Why not put a can of Right Guard Spray in the Van and see if that can help? It may help mask the odor. Or, give them a rope and a skateboard and tow them behind the van.x}>
  • Both employees have been counseled to pay more attention to personal hygiene, but the problem continues to surface

I agree with Marc. Time to start your progressive discipline ball rolling, I guess. I'm assuming neither EE has mentionend any sort of medical condition that would account for an unavoidable unpleasant odor?

Lots of car air fresheners in the van are probably also essential in this case.

• I went through this once with a union ee. Ended up sending ee to a mutually agreeable MD to ensure there was no medical reason for his BO. I had other employees and customers who wouldn't get on the same elevator with this ee. Finally termed the person with full Union support. Every time I talked to this ee I had to spray down my office. It was horrible.
  • Good point, Lee, but I would leave it to the employee's responsibility to provide medical reasons, if they exist.

Marc, I once sprayed Right Guard on a dog of ours long ago that had rolled in fish guts. It created a brand new odor that was enough to back a maggot off a gut wagon. To this day, I can't use Right Guard...smells fishy to me.
  • well if the disciplinary tactic doesn't work, and the deodorant or soap doesn't work the only alternative left is to outfit the rest of the employees with "PBA" protective breathing apparatus. the two offending employees can continue to smell each other - maybe then they'll take the hint. (all kidding aside) we had a similar situation years ago and referred the employee to counseling in an attempt to find out a) if there was a medical conditions; b) why they refused to practice good hygiene, why they would put themselves in such a position of needing to be disciplined. in our case however, we were able to isolate the employee - he eventually resigned.

good luck