EMPLOYEE BACKGROUND CHECKS

TELL ME HOW TO DO (PROCEDURE) EMPLOYEE BACKGROUND CHECKS (CRIMINAL RECORDS, MVR REPORTS, WORKERS' COMPENSATION HISTORIES, CREDIT REPORTS, ETC.) USING THE PERSON'S SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, ALONG WITH THEIR CONSENT. PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PROCEDURES AND THE STEPS INVOLVED TO ACCOMPLISH THIS FUNCTION.

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH. MY TELEPHONE NUMBER IF YOU NEED TO CALL IS 256/546-9493 AND MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email]BHUNDLEY@THG-PEO.COM[/email].

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

BOB HUNDLEY.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The very first step is to advise either the employee or applicant that you will be doing background checks. This can be a statement on your application or for a current employee by drafting a new policy and circulating it appropriately.

Many 3rd party firms offer these services...a simple web search will give you a few...or you can contact your state police and see what it offers...

If you are also checking credit...remember that you may have to comply with the FCRA.

I would suggest speaking with your attorney to develop proper policies and procedures before moving forward.

Good luck!
  • and searching background checks on this forum will give you some very thorough and informative threads to use as guidelines.
  • Leslie is right. In fact, as a newsletter subscriber, you can download an entire HR Special Report on background checks -- "How to Make Background Checks Part of Your Hiring Process." The report was written by our very own Anne Williams, who coincidentally is the Forum monitor this week. Under "HR Tools," click on "HR Special Reports," then "Background checks." If you run into a snag, call me, Anne, or Customer Service (800-274-6774). Good luck.

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • It's generally not sufficient to merely advise a person that you will be conducting a background check. It is VERY wise to incluse a well-drafted general release that applicants must sign giving permission to perform the background check. Be specific in the release about what checks you may be performing. In some states, such as California, background checking is very precise and requires very specific wording in all notifications and procedures.
  • We use Avert, their number is 888-606-7868. We pay $44.21 per ee for new hire background checks. Their customer service reps are very helpful anytime I call. You might want to check with them, they can customize the checks you need to run for you.
  • How fast is the turn around time?
  • For verification of ss#, immediate. For criminal and wc checks anywhere for one to two weeks. It can take much longer however if there is an extensive record for either of these checks.