What do you think?

Here's the situation...

A female EE has been working for an organization for approx. 6 mos. in a clerical role (claims processing). She has done an excellent job as far as her work duties as well as her attitude, attendance, etc. Several permanent full-time openings become available and she is asked to apply for one of the openings. She does, completes all the requisite paperwork, etc.. In reviewing her past work history it is discovered that at one time she was an exotic dancer.

The supervisor of the department calls her into his office and informs her that he is "aphalled (sp?)" at her background and has to "think about the reputation of the company" before he can offer her a job.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What she does on her own time, unless it blatently affects the company's reputation, is none of the supervisor's business.

How many people know about her past work history? If it's not generally known (and it must not have been, if the supervisor just discovered it), it can't be affecting the company's rep. too much.

My 2 cents.
  • We're talking exotic dancer here, not, ahem, working girl or ho. What if she classified it as modeling? Would that be different?

What would he have said to a gentleman who indicated on the application that he managed a Go-Go bar?

• the only problem I would have is with the supervisor running his(?) mouth.
  • >Here's the situation...
    >
    >A female EE has been working for an organization
    >for approx. 6 mos. in a clerical role (claims
    >processing). She has done an excellent job as
    >far as her work duties as well as her attitude,
    >attendance, etc. Several permanent full-time
    >openings become available and she is asked to
    >apply for one of the openings. She does,
    >completes all the requisite paperwork, etc.. In
    >reviewing her past work history it is discovered
    >that at one time she was an exotic dancer.
    >
    >The supervisor of the department calls her into
    >his office and informs her that he is "aphalled
    >(sp?)" at her background and has to "think about
    >the reputation of the company" before he can
    >offer her a job.
    >
    >Does anyone see a problem with this?

Wisconsin law does not prohibit this type of decision if employees are treated the same. For example, if male exotic dancers are treated more favorably, you may have a gender discrimination problem under both State and federal law.

Mike

Michael Modl
    Editor, Wisconsin Employment Law Letter
    Axley Brynelson, LLP

• Exotic dancing is not (depending on how exotic it is) illegal. And I doubt this individual is going to be placed in a high profile executive position where her every action past and present will be scrutinized by the public. Therefore he is judging her on non-job related criteria which is always a potential problem. Is she in a protected class? If so, your potential for trouble goes up.

Personally, I find his judgment abhorrent and would not want him making employment decisions for me. But that's my personal opinion. You might get by refusing to hire her because of a past job he doesn't like, but that doesn't make it right.
    Just my opinion.
  • Yup.
    Because, the ee is an excellent worker, she is asked to apply for a full-time job. The job she had in the past is not illegal. Unless she is "a face" of the company, it has nothing to do with the company's reputation. And, if the supervisor is appalled, it is the supervisor's problem. The problem is not with the ee, it is with the supervisor (who should have kept their mouth shut).
  • From a legal point I don't. There's no class protection for exotic dancers.

From an administrative point I do. If her work has been good enough for the past six months that the company would approach her with the full-time offer, her background should have nothing to do with whether or not she can do the job. Is that supervisor personally apalled or is there some standard that the company has that she must measure up to? Evidently as a part-time employee her prior activity didn't affect the reputation of the company. The company should be supportive of her as their current employee. Maybe she's too good to work with the echelon who judge; God help them.
  • Wow Linda, you probably hold the record. You got 7 responses in 6 minutes. We were all probably typing at the same time.
  • I see the potential for a lot more problems emanating from this supervisor than from hiring a former exotic dancer who has demonstrated excellent performance.
  • On second thought, the supervisor's actions affecting the reputation of the company.
  • She was apparently hired six months ago based partly on a review of the same type of paperwork. How did her history slip through the cracks, so to speak, then?

I think the man had another reason for calling her into his office. How do you spell prurient?

I can almost guarantee you that if she goes to work under this man (no pun intended), you will be facing a sexual harassment charge within three months. His church and wife will support him, but, the evidence will be overwhelming. Then you'll be asking the Forum if it's safe to fire HER.
  • We have an excellent inside sales rep who, in her previous life, was a pole dancer. She is very well liked and respected by customers and coworkers. She is a very valuable asset to our company. Her previous occupation is a total non-issue for a couple reasons: 1. It is a legal occupation. 2. She is an excellent employee.

Your issue is with that supervisor who seems to want to stand in moral judgement of her. There is only one person who ever walked this earth that is qualified to stand in moral judgement AND IT SURE AIN'T THAT SUPERVISOR!!
  • Aside from your supervisor being a stupid jacka** there's no problem here.
  • So what is this moron trying to say, that this otherwise great ee should not be allowed to better herself as she has shown she deserves but be outcast and have to resort back to being a dancer. Yeah that would show her for trying to do the right thing. And he thinks she is appalling.