Chosing an attorney

Tomorrow I begin interviewing attorneys to handle a possible suit brought against my organization on an employee issue. Any advice on questions to ask will be appreciated.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would be looking for experience with the specific issue and in the forum. How many similar cases handled? HOw did they proceed? What were the settlement negotiaitions? How did it resolve? How long? HOw much and how expensive? You need to consider how much administrative costs are going to be burned up in responding to the issues, and how much down time eaten up by folks just talking and gossiping about the case. Compare that to the possibility of paying an early settlement and getting back to what you usually do. Obviously you have to consider the impact of a settlement on the rest of the force, but the litigation process, not to mention the verdict, also has an impact on the force. Is there possibility of arbitration? Does he do arbitration? Facilitation? Voluntary mediation? If suit hasn't been filed yet, I would be looking very closely at some other form of resolution. Good luck!
  • Boy, I don't envy you. We interviewed 3 different attorney firms. One gave us a dog and pony show about how great they were. Another had a senior partner with a newly hired lawyer do a presentation. I felt as if I was watching a training class. When I called the 3rd one to make an appointment, they asked us to fax to them the paperwork we received that generated the need for an attorney.

When we met with them, they had prepared an agenda addressing the issue and in great detail explained the pros and cons we were facing. Knowing that we were interviewing other firms, they were up front with loads of info. They answered questions we did not know to ask.

They handled our problem quickly and with a minimum of "billable" hours.

We did NOT consider the cheapest or the most expensive firm. We selected them because they didn't talk about how great they were, they showed us.
  • Don't forget that the editors who write your state newsletters are expert attorneys practicing in your state. The Virginia firm of LeClair Ryan has offices in Richmond, Charlottesville, Norfolk, Blacksburg, Innsbruck, Roanoke, Alexandria, and Washington DC - so they are likely to be accessible. You can contact editor David Nagle at (804) 343-4077, or at dnagle@leclirryan. Even if you don't interview his firm, David is an excellent resource that is available as part of your newsletter subscription.

Good luck!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • Let me offer the advice I offer friends.

1) Pick an individual whose practice focuses upon employment litigation. Using the local general practitioner is like taking a knife to a gunfight, especially if the plaintiff is represented by an experienced employment attorney.

2) Get recommendations from HR managers/business owners who you know and respect. They may be able to give you some guidance on who they have worked with and found to be helpful. Just as important, however, is the fact that they may be able to give you some names to stay away from.

3) In interviewing attorneys, I don't agree with the recommendation that another reader gave, regarding asking about other cases. First, the attorney shouldn't share those details, and second, you're trying to compare apples with an unknown fruit. If some other plaintiff had a lousy case but the attorney you are interviewing still negotiated a $20,000 settlement, what does that tell you? Without knowing the details of the case, you can't learn much from it. If the attorney gives you the details of the case--stay away, as that attorney is revealing privileged information. Recommendations from others (see above), and client references (see below) are more
    valuable.

4) Make sure you understand exactly how the case will be staffed. You want to know who will work on it, at what rates. Don't let the work get scattered among a lot of folks, and make sure you know who you principle contact will be throughout the case. It is unreasonable to expect a firm or even well-informed estimate of costs at this stage, because the attorney doesn't know the facts and the work required is driven by the facts, the law, and the tactics of opposing counsel. However, you can get a range, and calls to client references provided by the attorney should give you some feedback on client's perceptions of the reasonableness of the billings.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

David E. Nagle
    Editor, Virginia Employment Law Letter
    (804) 343-4077
    [email]dnagle@leclairryan.com[/email]

PS: Thanks for the plug, Anne!
  • MANNYHATS: Welcome to the forum, great question and I recommend you lean heavy on your local PERSONNEL ASSOCIATION members for their input to good attorneys in your particular area of the country. I assume you have talked with your senior leaders and they have given you no leads. Our retained attorney is the same law firm that was used by this company when we first came on-board the business scene.

We all wish you good fishing in this very large pond!

PORK

• Thank you all for the on-target suggestions. Manyhats