Update on Hostile Work Environment

My old hostile work environment has been replaced by a new even more incidious one.

Last week the Chairman of the Board came in and replaced the old CEO and President. It was quite a surprise and shock to everyone here. The old CEO and President - the ones that were making it a hostile work environment for me - are still here - and were demoted to Sr. VP. The COB told us the co. lost $3Million in the last 2 years, despite increased sales.

What makes this so difficult for me is that they have been bad-mouthing me to the new CEO and have rallied their "good-old boys" to do the same.

On top of that, the old CEO threatened me. I wrote it up and gave it to the new CEO. He told me he still needed the old CEO and President because he still needed to get info from them.
I reminded him we have a zero policy. He told me if he investigated my complaint it would only escalate the old CEO's behavior, so I had no choice but to agree for him not to do so - but to keep my Memo confidential and in his files.

Any wise words of advice from my fellow forumites?

Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, sit tight. Let's assume the new guy has good business sense and is going to keep them around only long enough to gain from them the necessary knowledge to proceed without them, at which times you might have a going away luncheon for both of them.
  • Thanks Don. I hope you are right.
  • Meanwhile, be sure you're keeping good documentation of the harassing behavior: who, what, when, where.... Including the escalation of harassment since the new CEO came on board, your discussion with him, and his explanation to you regarding why he doesn't want to investigate the behavior. Frankly, if potentially illegal behavior is occurring under his watch in the workplace, it isn't good business sense on his part to NOT investigate it for fear it will inspire retaliation -- which is also a serious allegation! Yes, sit tight for now, because there isn't much else you can do right now; but don't just roll-over! If he takes care of the problem effectively, that's what matters. If he doesn't, ....