Thoughts and Opinions Please

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, however, I am not a newbie but a fellow poster that has changed her screen name and as you read this post, some of you will recognize me.

Anyway, here goes - sorry this is a long one.

Back at the beginning of the year, my father was terminally ill and finally passed away in May. Two weeks after that, my boss came to me and told me that

1) I wouldn't be getting a review which was due because there was a perception in the office that I didn't do any work. I had taken quite a bit of FMLA time.

2) In order to stay with the company, I would have to modify my work schedule. I work 3 days a week from home because I have a 2 hour commute one way.

3) If that didn't happen, I would be looking at a demotion and a possible salary decrease.

That alone is enough to demoralize anyone, especially since I just went thru a very difficult loss. On top of that I was told that our company may be sold and if that was the case, I would be looking at a layoff because they don't allow telecomuters and there is no way I could do a 4 hour commute 5 days a week.

Since then, I've been looking for jobs in my area but as you know, they aren't easy to come by. Our company has been sold, but nothing more has been said to me about being terminated.

I just don't know which way to turn. I'm finding it very difficult to focus on my work. I'm supposed to be going for training with the new company which is confusing because if I was going to be let go, why would they send me for training? Should I say something to the head of the HR department for the new company, should I keep my mouth shut and fly under the radar screen until I find another job???

Help!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Jewel-

I'm so sorry to hear about you father and you will be in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear about this difficult situation at work too!

I would recommend that you speak to the HR person at the new company to find out where you stand with the new acquisition. Express to him/her your concerns, inform him/her of your leave if you feel it is an issue and describe why you are essential to the company. And if you really enjoy your job and want to stay there I would recommend that you confirm that with him/her as well.

yes, this may "put you out there", but it may also show that you are committed and dedicated to the company and your job.

Unfortunately if it is pre-determined to eliminate your position, there is not much you can do to change that, but at least you will know that you tried your best to show that you are a team player and that your loyalty is to the company and your job.

And if "people" feel that you haven't been as committed as they have been, or as much as they would like for you to be, maybe you can put in a little extra effort to demonstrate that you are serious and mean what you say.

If you like your job, don't let it go so easily. I would fight for it !

Good luck. I hope it all works out.

JM
  • Hey LFernandez!
    Don't assume your butthead boss speaks for the new company........
    Evalutate the work that you do, be able to show the value that they bring............ you may be surprised, your boss may be the one getting cut.
    You might want to talk with someone if you feel distracted often, you are under stress and may be a little depressed......they way they handled things at work did not help....just my....
    $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I knew my friends would recognize me!! x:D

• I also remember your situation and agree with the balloon guy and the guy from GA that you should talk with the new people, especially if you need/want to keep this job. I also recognized the possibility for depression in your past posts and this one. The lack of support from your previous company and the stress in your personal life over the last months could begin to be viewed as performance problems when it is actually a medical issue that is correctible. If I were your friend sitting across from you right this minute, I would ask you to see a doctor and then talk to the new people about your future with the company. I see the training as a positive for you.

Good luck with this endeavor and keep us posted.
    My friends call me Boop, you can too.
  • of course we remember you. I think you have gotten good advice here. i would add to BSA that if I was also sitting across from you right this minute i would give you xhugs

Keep us posted. Hopefully things will look better soon.
  • JEWEL: A two hour one way commute for a position to do work and be paid says worlds of things:
    1) dedicated to the ones I love. It must be love or you must be crazy to commute two hours for any kind of work, but you call it love!
    2) NY is huge but I did not realize that one can live that far away from a city, town, or community where you could find a reasonable job with less travel.
    3) Current salary or wages received is to good to let go!
    4) Insecurity or lack of confidence in your personal working abilities in the "world of work' and you are very secure in the current work, thus you do not or can not take the right step into a different vocation.
    5) You would rather stay where you are at whatever cost rather than explore other opportunities.

Just my thoughts and I wish you well in the future!

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-13-04 AT 12:56PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I work in NY but live in another state. I've been looking for a job since that "meeting" and have sent out numerous resumes. I've received a few bites but no offers have come in yet.

I hate being on the other side of the interview table. While I realize the staying with the devil you know vs. the devil you don't is easier, I wish I could find something here. One of the problems is I live in the lower part of the state so if I go to one of the major cities (which is where most of the jobs are) I'd end up driving an hour + each day.

I'd like to stay in HR - I feel that I'm good at what I do. There just isn't a lot of mid level manager jobs out there. The pay isn't good where I am but it's not too bad either and much better than nothing.
  • Hi! Good to hear from you again....even under another name.

Good advice about talking with the head of HR. I would make sure to let HR know (in a nice way) that the time you took off was in connection with an FMLA event (your father's illness) and not because you were "slacking off" in any way.

Generally, if the company was looking to terminate you, I don't believe they would be spending money for training.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd still keep my eyes open for another position. It does not appear that your boss is a very compassionate individual and is looking for ways to discredit you and/or get rid of you. He will not make your life easy.
  • L: NY salaries are higher due to the time and travel needed to get to work, not to mention city and state taxes. Depending on where you live, although at first it would seem like a cut in pay, you might realize an enhancement to your costs and life style. Commuting time, taxes, stress level, transport schedules, putting up with weather conditions,etc. certainly should be taken into consideration.

I too, worked in NY for several years. When family demands necessitated that I find work closer to home, I located a job within 15 minutes from home. Wow! What a difference. Could not imagine how I could have done that commute for so long. The salary was less but the rewards were priceless.
  • Thanks everybody. I have a couple of interviews scheduled - wish me luck!! xpray
  • Jewel good luck and keep us informed on how things go.