Term TODAY for negative influence on employees

I have an ee who is a negative influence on her group. I have several complaints from others regarding her snide remarks about other employees.

She seems to be jealous of others because their work is better, or they are more aggressive at finding other things to do when there normal work load is light.

Anyway, my best employee came to me today, she was crying, upset and wanting to quit because this one "bad apple" had said something smart to say or was just being rude.

The "bad apple" had her 1st oral warning at the end of June for her negativeness toward her fellow employees. The warning stated that "any more infractions of any kind will lead to further disciplinary action up to and including dismissal".

Well I want to term her TODAY. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks.
-t

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't ususally jump to termination from an oral warning. Before terminating, I want to make certain the EE understands that the next infraction WILL result in a termination and have their signature on the document that we had the conversation.

If there were no other incidents since June, that would be the avenue I would take. I would also counsel other EEs that are being traumatised by this behavior, to let the offender know that this treatment is not acceptable. They need to help you by busting this EE on the bad behavior. Immediate feedback when the behavior is happening is the most effective way to change it.

• Even though she is a bad apple, there are two sides to every story. I would not jump to termination without at least suspension and investigation.

I think once you get more info you can make a better decision about whether to suspend. If she said she hates her shoes I would not suspend. Smoll might feel that warrants a suspension, but I don't. x}>
  • 30 days without question!!! (just kidding). Marc has good advice about talking to other employees. We have a similar situation here. One ee is sensitive to the fact that Ms. Priss walks by and snubs her, but says 'hi' to everyone else. We've told the ee to not focus on Ms. Priss - just do your job and ignore her. We'll handle her. She and a couple others lay in wait to see who Ms. Priss will snub or antagonize next. Yes, eventually she'll get her formal counseling. But in the meantime before she hangs herself, talk to the other employees and show them how to not feed the fire.
  • 1) What's her race and the races of the complainers?

2) What is your written policy on progressive discipline, or is there a policy?

• The complainers and the negative influence person are all caucasion.

Our written policy states: verbal, 1st written, 2nd written, termination. However, we have the clause that we can skip any step in our progressive discipline policy and go straight to termination.
  • I see the blinders on. You may not have legal issues, but I guarantee this will be stickier than you think. Get the facts.
  • you said the previous warning stated further disciplinary warning up to and including dismissal.

To give her the benefit of doubt and to show you have given her every opportunity to shape up, use the "further disciplinary" action, but state it is a final warning and further episodes will result in immediate termination. Then if another instance occurs, follow through.

• I agree with Dynamite. Giving the employee one final written warning with termination as the clear next step will gain you serious advantage at the UI step. I don't know her age, but am somewhat comforted by the fact that all the players are caucasion. That's certainly in your favor. I believe that a hearing officer, whether it's UI or EEOC will view favorably your prior warning, your next clear warning, then termination. Get ready to terminate. You know the opportunity is going to be just around the corner.
  • The "escape clause" in your handbook is not nearly as airtight as you may think....it certainly wouldn't help you in a UI hearing, and besides, it's understood that you can jump the progressive chain for acts that are truly egregious. However, based on what you posted, it doesn't seem to me that being snippy to co-workers qualifies as "egregious." Are you sure that you're not being a tad overreactive to the tears of your best worker? Could it be that you're angry and letting your emotions get in the way of your good judgement?
  • I would agree with the others and do an investigation. Have you also had a talk with the "rude" employee to find out what her take was on the situation? I've used that before as an opportunity to tell them they've upset another employee to tears, that's not acceptable and ask what is going on. It makes a great coaching opportunity and then you can end the meeting by telling her your investigating and you haven't decided on what action will be taken because of this incident but you will get back to her tommorrow.

Also I would suggest that you think about whether or not you would jump to term one of your better employees if they were in the same situation. Maybe a written warning would be better now depending on the outcome of your talk with the rude employee. As the others have said, she'll probably do something that will allow you to term her later on.
  • Give her a final written warning and then terminate at your next opportunity.
  • Getting in late, but I agree. Stick with your policy and go the next step a written with the consequences of the next occurance clearly spelled out on the form.
    Dutch2