HR Certification

Hello everyone! Does anyone have information on HR Certification? I need to know the different types of certifications available and how to go about becoming certified.

Any input from all you experienced HR wizards would be great!

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check out [url]www.shrm.org[/url], or go directly to [url]www.HRCI.org[/url].
  • Elle: Certifications for HR are not required by any legal condition; however, there are several HR professioal organizations who offer HR Certifications for those interested and willing to spend the time and money to acquire certifications. You don't even have to have a high school degree to be certified. Your best certifications will come from our "world of HR hardknocks and learning by doing and being there". Certifications can help you get to some levels of importance in big companies, but it is not required in most small companies. Just an operator who understands the many side of HR and can get the company through the day and next week is what is required. I have a education background with a Masters in Counselling. these credentials and 50 cents used to get me a cup of java, now it is $1.00 and hot enough to burn you if one spills the java.

Just my hog sense!

PORK
  • Pork: I know that it isn't required but I am noticing more and more jobs in HR are requiring PHR and/or SPHR certification.

I have my a degree in management but that doesn't seem to be enough with what is happening in the market here in IL.

Thanks for your post.
  • Elle's right about Illinois. I came to this state 18 months ago and despite having a Masters and 25+ yrs experience in HR, the SPHR cert was a big issue. Go figure.........
  • Down-the-Middle, welcome to Chicago, it is a cut-throat market!

Another situation I am coming across is speaking Spanish, it is a requirement now in HR. Not conversational Spanish but technical Spanish. Employers are looking for HR Managers to explain policies and pension plans in Spanish!

I have only been out of college for 4 years and things are changing way too fast for me in the market. But in the meantime, I am going to look into becoming PHR certified, it is a must!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-04 AT 10:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Elle - go for certification if it matters in your job market area. It matters in mine, so in June I took the PHR test through HRCI (SHRM). Turns out, I passed. It's funny, but with passing, it did boost my confidence a bit and since my organization (small, only about 105 ee's) is pretty savy for it's size, they recognized the accomplishment and it's helped me at work too. I say go for it! x:-)
  • Thanks for the encouragement! Do you have any suggesstions on how to prepare for it? Was it a difficult exam?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
  • x:-)

I'm smiling, because it's going to look like a shameless plug for this site. This site really did help with seperating the issues and not balling every issue into one big lump. Study the big 5 (FLSA, ADA, FMLA, Worker Comp. and Discrimination/Harrassment) fold in union history/vocabulary and compensation issues/vocabulary. All I purchased was the study guides and did the rest of the work through the 'net. Experience in the field is a definite plus as it helps you work through the questions on the exam, however, you need to be able to seperate book knowledge from real life - on the test (since it's generalized) they rely on book knowledge. Most important - don't cram - study a little bit every day and set aside a couple of marathon sessions where you stuff as much knowledge in as you can. Finally... good luck & remember, if you don't pass the first time around, the world won't stop & you can always retest later. x:-)
  • Thank you so much for your input, that helps a lot. I will purchase the study guides and try to prepare as much as I can.

Thanks again!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-04-04 AT 11:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]You're welcome - I should say, my tips are for the PHR. SPHR is different. If you take the SPHR, then I would just follow the study guides. x:-)
  • DO NOT do what I did. I was advised by a couple of recent Master's grads to definitely purchase the study guides to study for the SPHR exam. I remember the one guy told me that he had two friends...recent Master's degrees...who did not pass the SPHR exam the first time around. I'm a little on the cocky side, and I like a good challenge, so I disregarded their advice, bought a standard HR textbook, read a little and took the exam. Flunked by 7...SEVEN...points. I swear, I'd rather flunk by 100 points than 7. It was a very quick waste of about $300, which I had to pay myself. The second time around I took a course through Villanova and passed the SPHR exam. Take it seriously and invest in the materials. You'll be okay.
  • I took the PHR test a few years ago and passed. I took a prep class at a local consulting company. I gained a lot of knowledge just taking the class, so it was worth it. I remember answering many of the questions how I thought they wanted them answered based on the study materials instead of the way I really would have done it myself. To me some of the questions were way out there. You'll do fine. Good luck! I
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-05-04 AT 08:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]PHR stands for Professional of Human Resources and SPHR stands for Senior Professional of Human Resources. In order to take the PHR exam, you must have at least 2 years HR experience. To take the SPHR, you must have at least 2 years HR experience, but it is recommended that you have 4-6 years.

I took the PHR a couple of years ago and passed the first time around and more recently took the SPHR and passed. The PHR is more facts and figures of HR basics and the SPHR is more application of those facts to real life cases. They ask you more scenerio related questions, like what "would you do first?" or "what is the best way to handle the situation?".

The exam is now done on computer versus the old way on paper and pencil. The deadline to register take the next exam is the end of September. You select where you want to test and what day. You can take it any time between Nov. 15 to Jan. 15th. The best thing about the exam being conducted on computers is that you get an instant pass/fail result as opposed to waiting an agonizing 6-8 weeks to find out whether you passed or failed. The next exam dates after that are May 1-July 1st. To find out more information go to [url]www.hrci.org[/url] They are the ones who set the exam standards and take registration for it.

The exam is based on 6 modules:
    Strategic Mgt.
    Workforce Planning
    Human Resources Development
    Compensation and Benefits
    Occupational Safety and Security
    Labor Relations

Each section is worth a certain percentage on the exam, depending on whether it's for PHR or SPHR. (For example, Strategic Mgt and Labor Relations make up 50% of the SPHR exam, but count for less on the PHR exam.)

Excellent study materials for PHR are SHRM's Learning System, but is very costly ($595 for SHRM members); HRCP's learning system is good ($285); Human Resource Management 10th edition by Mathis and Jackson text book ($120 with workbook); and Anne Bogardus PHR/SPHR Certification study guide ($20-40 online you can get at Walmart's book store or from Amazon.com).

SPHR study materials can include all the above for a refresher of basics, but life experience will be the best to learn by and SHRM's white papers. ([url]www.shrm.org[/url])

More and more companies are looking for or requiring certification. It is a definite plus for your career. I know it has helped me in my job searches. It adds to your credibility as an HR Professional. I too have an MBA. Certification give you an advantage over other applicants for an HR job. Good luck!

HR Diva
  • HR Diva,

Thank you so much for all of that information on becoming certified, it is truly helpful. I am hoping to take it next year and have my employer pay for it b/c yes, it is very expensive.

I'm sure it will be beneficial to become certified for myself and my employer.

Once again, thanks a bunch for your post.
  • Elle, there is an on-line study group right now preparing for the Nov SPHR test. Even though it's geared to SPHR, I know a couple of those studying for PHR that are finding it helpful too. It's through yahoogroups, just search for sphrgroup2004 at [url]http://www.yahoogroups.com[/url] and join. Nora is the moderator.
  • I am certified at the SPHR level and yes it was a tough exam. However, my certification credential gives me a lot of credibility to those who have like educations (Bachelors) and lots of years in business. Just because you have worked in business for a lot of years doesnt mean you know what you are doing. Also unless you are in HR and keep up with the tons of changes you dont know what you are doing!!

My $.02 worth!