Hiring

We are considering changing the way we approach the hiring process. The department managers currently conduct the interviews and make hiring recommendations to CEO. We have had a significant increase in turnover in the past couple of years. In the past I have suggested a team approach to hiring; the manager, HR and possibly another member of management conducting interviews and making the recommendation. CEO has been hesitant to change in the past but now wants to look at doing something different. My question is, do any of you have experience with the team approach? If so, can you give me some pros and cons of making this change?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ILBANKER: I have been there and done that, the team approach to interviewing and recommending is a good means of narrowing down or aligning the interviewed candidates for consideration.

The CEO has always gotten an opportunity to interview and state his/her feelings but to make the hiring decision, that should be left to the Department Head to whom the new employee will be receiving his/her leadership.

The CEO/COO/CFO/VP/PRESIDENTs should all back out of the picture and the burden of making the right choice. If they have a particular personal knowledge of the character or background of anyone of the candidates they should let it be known to stop any error that might happen.

I certainly don't blame the CEO for wanting to do a different approach.

Have you done exit interviews to find out why the turnover is happening. It may have nothing to do with the current procedure, except for the confusing chain of concern caused by the CEO is the final hiring authority. The department heads have got the easy street to walk!

PORK
  • In my exit interviews I have found that the employees often feel like the job wasn't what they thought it was. Either they are overqualified and bored or they are underqualified and the manager expects more out of them than they are able to give. Our management has always taken a reactive approach to staffing as opposed to proactive. As a result this puts us in a bind when we have a position to fill. The manager is so eager to fill the position that often times they hire someone who is a bad fit. HR has never been very involved in the hiring process. I have made the recommendation that this change for the reasons stated above, however it has not gotten any attention until now. So, I am looking for a way to involve HR and the department head so that a sound decision can be made.
  • I have also used the "team" approach, however, I have found that if I conduct the bulk of interviews beforehand; ask the questions and identify if the candidate might be a good fit, then I involve the team. Before any further interviews are conducted, I advise the rest of the team the information I have, including some of the items the "interviewee" is looking for.

For the most part this has worked well, not a sure fire guarantee, but being prepared has certainly help with retention.

Mostly though aside from experience and education its good ole "gut instinct".

Good luck
  • I agree; I have always done the ground work to look at individual personalities and company psychology and the specifics of potential team enhancements and degradations based on a personal intense interviews and understanding of the candidates needs and the companies' needs. Those that have no chance due to a conflict in their history, experiences, and their desires are usually never allowed to get to the team interview. You are so right that is the HR's recruiting responsibility and it is where we really earn our value to the company.

PORK
  • Here, HR handles the posting of all open jobs...as the applications/resumes come in, we compare it to the posting, if they don't meet the minimum qualifications, they're out.

The next step is to give the hiring manager the applications/resumes. The department decides who gets the interviews.

Following that, the department narrows it down to 3-4 candidates. HR then conducts reference and background checks and provides a reccomendation to the Dept. Then an offer is made.

Our CEO has little to do with this process, unless we are hiring an upper level person. The rank and file hardly enter his radar!

• I do the initital interviewing-I have an interview form I fill out and pass along to the immediate supervior if I think the ee is someone we could use.-We bring the applicant in for a 2nd interview, both of us are present-If there is a "lead" in the department where the ee will work, we also have the applicant meet with that person-We do not involve the COO in this process, unless it is someone who will report directly to the COO. If they get past me initially, we continue the process. It has saved a great deal of time doing it this way, maybe not for me but certainly for the Supervisors!!
  • We use the team approach here. HR should be involved in all the interviews as we generally have good instincts and can recognize things that the average manager/supervisor cannot. Things like someone with poor eye contact and flat affect being interviewed for a customer service position. Don't think so!