Lottery Pools

Is it ok for an employee to start a lottery pool?

Whomever wants to participate pays $2, then someone buys the lottery tickets. If we win we all split the pot and then start over the next week. Is this a legal problem or something that I should not let happen while at work.

It's all voluntary.

Thanks.
-T

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't allow any form of gambling, have policy against it in our handbook. Think it is a bad idea. There was a case of group lotto where the person who brought the tickets said the winning ticket was the one that she just so happened to buy for herself and not out of the groups money. Just an opportunity to open yourself up for unnecessary problems.
  • If you have a "no solicitation" policy, I think allowing the pool would be jeopardizing the policy's effectiveness - and that is something you definitely do not want. The other obvious arguments were already stated in the above post.

If they want to have a pool, I would not permit it on company premises, on working time. They can take it off site.

• In our company, providing services to various need groups in our community, we think it sends the wrong message. Being in Nevada, where gambling is legal, means were are specially aware of all the issues it can bring to a family. In many ways, gambling works as a regressive tax on the poor. It takes a disproportionately large portion of take home pay to use in this sort of discretionary manner. And believe me, lots and lots of issues we address have to do with having very little money to handle day to day problems.

We think allowing this in our workplace is hypocritical.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-13-04 AT 06:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]"T": It goes far beyond an employee handbook, a no solicitation policy or sending the wrong message. Your state like mine, I think, has a law prohibiting a pool as a form of gambling. It's a misdemeanor and the participants as well as the sponsor (employer who supports/allows it) can be fined and/or incarcerated. (Colts and 3)
  • Playing devil's advocate here, our attorneys have said that office pools are permitted as long as the only profit that is made is by the winner of the pool. Anything taken by the organizer of the pool is against state law.

If it were up to me I would ban all gambling on premises but since our "higher-ups" participate in the pools, the gaming goes on.
  • Several people in my office participate in a lottery pool twice a week. Everyone who chips in money receives a copy of the purchased tickets.
  • State law will rule. Some years ago, we had a huge agency-wide raffle for an employee whose wife was to have a marrow transplant. We raffled a new donated Schwinn bike and several other nice prizes and collected almost eleven thousand dollars. Our attorney said it was technically not legal and to have the drawing off premises. I had the Catholic priest come to a radio station and do the drawing. (At the time I thought that might guarantee credibility - ha).

Anyway, state law holds that if the recipient of the funds collected/donated/sent in, is not a recognized, chartered charity in the state, it is not legal even under this circumstance, since people were buying chances on a raffle, which is gaming.

Would hate to do without the superbowl pools though!
  • We do not allow. It is considered a form of gambling and gambling is not allowed on premises.

There was a case about a year ago in New Jersey. There was a big winning ticket and the owner did not come forward immediately. A group of co-workers sued another co-worker alleging she had used their money to buy the winning ticket. The co-workers went on tv to argue (actually yell) their case. The buyer of the lottery tickets said she had not purchased the winning ticket. To make a long story, she had not purchased the winning the lottery ticket.
  • Our company has a "no gambling" policy also. What ee's do on their own time is fine-no money is collected on site for lottery pools or any other reason- It is in our employee handbook also.