Breast Feeding Accomodations

I'm just curious what kinds of accomodations you make for new mothers that wish to pump milk through the day (and what kind of business you're in). I understand employers are required to provide a place, other than a bathroom, for this. Do you feel this is successful for both the employee and employer???

Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As most of you know, I just returned from maternity leave with my second child in April. I have nursed both of my children, and have needed an accommodation from my employer in order to express milk at work. Even the smallest things that an employer can do are very appreciated by the employee. In addition to providing a room for pumping, think about talking to supervisors about understanding the employee's need to schedule, or leave, meetings in order to take care of business.

Some states, such as Tennesee, require that employers provide a room for pumping. However, you may want to talk with the employee and see what will best fit her needs. She may perfer to pump in her office, if she has one, rather than go to a separate room.

From the employee perspective, I think it goes a long way towards employee satisfaction and morale if you can make an accommodation for a working mother.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • A few states, like California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, and Tennessee, require employers to allow nursing mothers unpaid breaks to express milk during the workday. Except for Hawaii, these states also require the employer to provide a private place, other than a restroom, for this activity. A few states, including Georgia, Texas, and Washington, encourage employers to accommodate breastfeeding employees and to provide them breaks. Pennsylvania currently doesn't have any breastfeeding regulations.

At my old banking employer in PA, we had a supply room that had a lock that we allowed employees to use for this purpose. It wasn't pretty, but it had a chair and an electrical outlet. As long as the employee didn't abuse the breaks, they were allowed to take a break for this purpose.
  • I have also been there/done that. I found it to be extremely successful as did my boss. I pumped in my office (just put a blank sticky note on the door). I used that time to check email and return phone calls so no productivity was lost. For those employees who don't have a private office, a clean room with a lock, chair, and outlet would also work. I personally would not want to pump in a bathroom. Many states do not have regulations regarding pumping at work, but I really believe that if a company can accomodate, it certainly would boost morale - it sure did for me!
  • Uh, why do you need an outlet? Are you saying that you guys can't even pump that thing manually? Jeez, Louise. So the poor employer has to provide electricity too?!?! My, God, where will it end?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-13-04 AT 11:28AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We provide a room & the mother pumps during her breaks and/or at lunch. So far, we haven't had any problems or anyone necessarily "abusing" the accomodation. When I say abusing, I mean taking longer than the 2/10 minute breaks or longer than their 30 minute lunch break. If that were to happen, we would address the issue with the person individually & determine how best to work with the mother. We view this as an important accomodation that goes along way with ee morale.
  • Hey wildy, I hope you know I was kidding. Your post sounded tense.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-13-04 AT 02:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Crout - didn't even read your post (sorry - not intended to offend) or the others, I just answered the original poster's question. Sorry if mine sounded intense - just trying to answer the question. x:-) ps - in reading it now I totally see the humor of your response x:-)