Grievance Issue - Your thoughts

2»

Comments

• I am not in an union environment so I won't speak to that but as to your original question, I would say that my response would totally depend upon the employee's previous track record.

If this ee has been solid up until now, I am going to assume he or she was simply having a rough time and just needed a few minutes to collect themselves before covering the front desk. Perhaps they were even being conscientious knowing that a front desk position is a "first impression" area and they needed to look appropriate.

On the other hand, if this employee is constantly making excuses like that or has had a poor attitude, I would deal with it as an insubordination issue.
  • Unfortantely time didn't allow me to read all responses so if I'm duplicating I apologize. When I come to work I arrive 15 - 20 minutes early, this allows me to "collect" myself and get ready to work when I am suppose to. I guess my question would be - was the EE suppose to be ready to work at say 8am, and if so when did the supervisor ask her to cover the phones. Although the rudeness she presented to the supervisor was uncalled for in any situation.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-02-04 AT 01:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Treat it as disrespect toward the superivsor not as a traditional act of insubordination-- a refusal to follow instructions. Disrespect to a supervisor is often seen by labor arbitrators as a form of insubordination.

The only way you can avoid going to arbitration if the union is so inclidned to do so, is settle out. Maybe work out an agreement on this issue or trade it off for another arbitration case that may not be as important or as meaningful now.
  • Allow a general comment. I once worked with a mgmt guy who boasted he had never lost an arbitration. My thought then, and today, after reading these posts, is that guy missed some great opportunities to send messages, and to set up issues for bargaining. Not to say we should willy nilly arbitrate. But, there may be circumstances where it will pay in the long run, even if you don't think you will succeed in the instant case. And, I have resolved many arbitrations favorably, on the morning of arbitration, when even the union is a bit nervous of how things may go. The presence of an arbitrator is a great incentive - for both sides - but I have generally felt the union has more at stake in a particular behavior case than mgmt.