Mandatory Overtime

Does anyone have some kind of "verbage" regarding mandatory overtime? We have had a couple of instances lately, where due to business necessity we have had to ask people to work overtime (with not much notice.) The majority of them simply say "NO"..can't do.
We are not "meanies" and am trying to work with people, however, sometimes it just comes down to where someone MUST work some OT or the "production" has to stop and we can't have that. How do you all handle situations like that?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is it a union, or non-union environment? We have a union contract (CBA) and it simply states that overtime may be mandatory as needed. If you don't have a union it's even easier. You simply tell the employees from day one that Overtime is mandatory as necessary and refusing to work overtime will rsult in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Write out a directive memo today and circulate it to your employees. I'm not sure if that will make you "meanies" or not, but it WILL keep your production line running.
  • We tell them that it is mandatory and it isn't an option. OT was a part of the job when they came aboard and this isn't anything new to them. We tell them we understand if they had plans but unfortunately we need them to work. If they're not there, we write them up on attendance.
  • Here's our (non-union) verbage in the handbook:

"When a job continues into overtime, it is understood that the employees on the job will follow through on the overtime for the current day. Employees are required to work overtime when scheduled or requested by the company unless specifically excused by the supervisor. Whenever possible, you will be notified about weekend work no later than the preceeding Thursday. When overtime is scheduled or mandated, company policy pertaining to attendance and punctuality will prevail. Employees refusing overtime will be shown as 'left early' and will be charged one-half point. Additionally, in the case of refusal, the violation will be treated as 'refused direct order of supervisor' and will be sanctioned through the disciplinary procedure up to and including the possibility of termination of employment."
  • Thanks Don! Perfect! (We are non-union)
  • Big Daddy Don's policy is on the money. The only recommendation I have is that you call it "scheduled overtime". That's what we do. It is still mandatory, but the implication is that it is a schedule modification and the attendance policy applies if you don't show. I know it's semantics, but it works for us... sounds friendlier too.

Circulate a memo and put all employees on notice that's the practice you will be following from X date forward. You may have a few that quit or refuse, but hold firm and it will work out.

Tom
  • I've got a bigtime disagreement with that language and it's much broader than semantics. The word scheduled implies nothing more to workers than the expectation that you 'schedule' overtime in advance. With the last union contract I worked with, the word scheduled had HUGE implications and it was required that the OT be SCHEDULED a minimum of 48 hours in advance or it could not be required and no discipline could result. If you use the word at all, use 'scheduled or unscheduled' so there is no expectation of prior scheduling. An attorney or hearing officer would eat your policy alive if it mentioned simply 'scheduled OT'. (BigDaddy?)
  • Well here goes...

If an employee is scheduled to work Monday - Friday and you are requring them to work Overtime on Saturday, then you have changed their work schedule. You have scheduled another day for them to work and expect that they be at work.

The poster said this was non-union shop and according to your policy (which I said was good) you indicate Saturday work will be communicated by Thursday. This is a schedule change and the employee is given notice. If you are going to require an extra day, then I strongly believe there should be advance notice.

The fact that its called scheduled doesn't mean its optional or voluntary and the policy needs to clearly state the infraction for non-compliance.

I can understand your reservation, but like I said it has worked for me for over 10 years without a problem.

• No sir, I didn't say that weekend work will be communicated by Thursday. The most important part of the sentence is 'Whenever possible'. That totally removes any expectation or mandate or policy to notify by Thursday. I have had to point out that part of the sentence a half dozen times in the past month. If it mentioned scheduled overtime, that number would quadruple. But, I hope it works for ya'. x:-)
  • I stand corrected- just like so many before me I didnt pay attention to the details. We do operate with a Thursday notification if we are scheduling Saturday. Given our business, we can forcast demand and believe this notice gives people time to make arrangements. I can see how other production operations would be more volatile and may need a shorter notice.
  • Our CB agreement did not have a mandatory OT clause, and the Union was adamently against any language. We pushed the issue, and they did not push back. We achieved what we wanted. As a suggestion, if you find that OT is routine, you may want to consider changing the hours (9/10 hour day)for a defined period. The one concern that I have is that you should give the ee's time to adjust their life style commitments (day care, dinner, etc.)before you push the issue.
  • In a manufacturing environment, the reality is that such things as day care and planned picnics are far lower on the consideration pole than company profits. It's just the realities of doing business and surviving. No company I have ever heard of has caved profit motive to such considerations. On a humane level, I understand the need for employees to be able to plan. But, when push comes to shove, the bottom line rules or the HR guy/gal is told to re-populate the ranks.