New Orleans

Who's going to New Orleans next week?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Speaking of managers who will be drinking again....
  • Only in spirit. The boss is in Scotland and someone has to stay around and keep the doors open.
  • Don't forget to stop in at Hog's Breath...and take some panties along to stick on the ceiling.
  • I am still recovering from a 6 day seminar in New Orleans last October. The next time I go, I'm taking my wife so I can remember the trip.
  • I'm looking forward to it. Someone recommended the Cat's Meow???? I've never been to NO before so should be exciting. I just hope I make it to some of the sessions!
  • I lifted this from the archives following a trip last year. There are some threads recommending New Orleans Restaurants you can access by doing the 'search thing' at the top of the forum, keying in New Orleans, subject, and 1 year.

"New Orleans Was A Blast!"
    LAST EDITED ON 10-27-03 AT 06:16 AM (CST)
    I'll be honest. Five nights on Bourbon Street with company credit cards is tooo much for any one human being! The Amtrak ride was fabulous and the bloody mary's onboard were fair. The ambiance of the French Quarter never changes and remains as I recall it from two decades ago. Although there's much, much more to N.O. than The French Quarter and Bourbon Street, I was rather limited to that area. The place is a 25 year old's dream! Here's the food rundown: Gazebo Cafe on Decatur in French Market for platter of raw oysters with flounder and gumbo with a great black blues band who were sort of X-rated. The Red Fish Grill on Bourbon has the absolute best oyster combination called Three-Way which included Rockefeller, Oudouille (sp) and Bienville. Ordered a dozen Three-Way and was so impressed I had to order another half dozen of the Odouille with their famous glaze sauce. Marinated Cajun Shrimp and Frog leg appetizers. Had to go to Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse on Iberville Street the last night there. Just a few doors off Bourbon. Very expensive. Had the 24 oz. Porterhouse and I would rate this in the top two or three steaks of my lifetime. I asked about Eggs Hussard (Margaret) but was told it was the wrong time of day for that. Our group of 22 did group-night on Wednesday with corporate paying the tab at Pat O'Brien's. I passed on the sweet Hurricanes and opted for shots with lime and sweet tea with dinner. I had the fried Alligator appetizer, strips sorta like chicken but sweeter. The main meal at my end of the table was steak, redfish, oysters and a torched-etoufee thing I can't describe. I could not get enough oysters and seemed to eat them daily, somewhere. Margaritaville is a large ripoff. The novelty store with the same name is super pricey but nothing special. You could buy anything imaginable made in China with the name Margaritaville stamped on it ranging from dildos to leather jackets with fox collars. The restaurant by the same name had snob waiters and was a high-brow dump so I walked out after we sat there for 20 minutes. Yes, Miz Ingram, I did have Beignets at 4 p.m. on Tuesday Afternoon. Donuts go very well with beer I learned and the shrunken-head place is right next door. The Lucky Dog wagons were everywhere with those really great hot dogs. On my second night I realized the lady on the corner of St. Peter and Bourbon (who could not leave her post) would trade me a Lucky Dog for a one dollar cup of beer each night at 11:00. They didn't have to worry about her eating up the profit since I think she only had two teeth. The world's best hot dog, for sure! Lots of loud but good music, more than enough people of questionable sexual persuasion, hookers to please every palate (I reckon), some people whose sex you could not guess if your life depended on it. More Harleys than I've seen in a while parked 40 in a row block after block sometimes, beads being slung downward from every angle, Every kind of music you could hope for. Tons of 'artists' at their easels over in the French Market area, all claiming to do the 'Best Elvis on Velvet' and who were really good at charcoal renditions of whoever was sitting in the chair. The old Catholic Cathedral in the Market area was neat but was surprised to see a shop set up inside the church selling candles and such. Who was that 'guy' awhile back who ran the money changers out of the temple?? Each morning I went out on Bourbon at 7:00 just for the heck of it before 8:00 a.m. class. Not a soul hardly in sight except for the guys pressure hosing out the cafes and dives and the garbage trucks whizzing by and a few people walking to work. Excellent hotel. Training was by J.J.Keller and was excellent covering the totality of 1910 OSHA which is a required 30 hour class sit-through. Low-Carb starts tomorrow! Everyone's gift is in the mail! Trust me.

• I'm leaving tomorrow. Will make sure SDDCHR gets to some of the sessions!

My spouse is going with me -- a group of us has reservations for dinner at Pascal Manale's -- please tell me the food is good!
  • I have heard that they reopened in early June. The Health Department had them closed for several months. x:D Just kidding. Hope you have a great time! Don't wear heels!
  • I quit wearing heels years ago. I am at the "sensible shoes" stage (or age?) of my life!

Thanks for the advice...
  • I love New Orleans and we have been there about six times. The French Quarter is amazing and you will never be bored. But is you have time and want a break, take the free ferry over to Algiers. You get to cross the mighty Mississippi for free and you can go to the Mardi Gras warehouse over there. There is a tour and the floats are absolutely fantastic. Have fun!
  • Yes, and great museums everywhere. Catch a cab to the most wonderful cemetery on earth with tons of huge, really huge, ornate monuments, many with characters and story lines and such. It's a world unto itself.

On second thought, I'm NOT taking my wife.
  • Don, just remember that New Orleans is just like Vegas. Like the saying goes:

"What happens in New Orleans........usually haunts you for the rest of your life".
  • I think you forgot part of that quote. The way I heard it was "Whatever happens in New Orleans either haunts you for the rest of your life or makes you scratch for the rest of your life." Or something like that.