Purchasing Agent JD and reporting structure

Hello everyone! I am an HR Director in a mfg. company of about 80 employees. I could really use some help from you!
We have had a problem with our purchasing area since long before I started here. (Eight years ago) The primary problem is that in all actuality the Purchasing Agent functions as a purchasing clerk, not as an agent. Much of the purchasing is left up to others to do on their own. Our engineers have to look up their own materials and parts, the same with our production planners or most anyone else that needs something ordered. She'll hand them the catalogues and tell them to look and find what they want and then give her the numbers. Our engineers and production planners have to often times find their own materials and parts. She indicates she doesn't have time or doesn't know what they want. (She's been doing this for over ten years here.) The second problem is she keeps getting shuffled around to different managers because no one seems to want to deal with her inability to function as an agent. The only time there has been any accountability for what she does was when she was under the supervision of our controller/business office manager. But, because she couldn't stand being held accountable, made life miserable for everyone and complained enough, they put her under the General Manager. Since that time she has been moved under the supervision of the production planning supervisor and then the production supervisor. She is not supervised and is basically left to do things as she pleases, which causes a lot of problems that tie in with the business office and the shipping and receiving areas. I need your help! I am looking for two things. First of all, if anyone would be willing to share a copy of their Purchasing Agent job description I would really appreciate it. Also, I am looking for the reporting structure of your Purchasing Agent. Who does this person or this department report to? Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First thing that jumps out in my mind is who, in power, is she sleeping with? There cannot be another way that she is still employed if what you say is true. YIKES! I hope her supervisor is going to sit her down with the job description and say this is what you are going to do PERIOD. That's great you've finally said enough is enough, but allowing it to go on for 8 years????? Good luck.

PS what's your email address?
  • What this individual does is she becomes the "mother" of the person who becomes her supervisor. With her last two supervisors, (in both cases...I kid not!) she would go to their kids ballgames, babysit, become very good friends with their wives, socialize outside of work, etc. etc. She sold the one her used car. I could go on and on and on! smaces-twin, I haven't posted a lot, so I'm not real familiar with this whole process. How do I share my email address with you without posting it out there for everyone. I'm giving out quite a bit of info about this individual and am nervous that someone will recognize her or me! (Am I being too paranoid!) Thanks for taking the time to help me!
  • Hi Diane,
    First of all, if you want to send a private message to someone, click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with writing on it and wavy lines to the left of it.

Second of all, if you want a job description to show her what she ought to be doing, you are requesting the right JD. If you want to write a job description that describes her present duties, use one for purchasing clerk. Call the position anything you want, but her payscale should reflect the essential job functions, not the title.

This "mother" of yours sounds more like a "mother dearest" to me....the Fatal Attraction kind. YIKES!!
  • Yes, I definintely need the "Purchasing Agent" job description. Having worked with a true "Purchasing Agent" before, this individual is not that! But, that is what our company needs - not a clerk!
  • DIANEZ: May I first say "welcome to the posting world of HRs", some good information can be gathered, some great wisdom, and some hidden anger jumps out every now and then. Just remember in our own way we are trying to help!

You know, you have some very weak leaders/s/s and whimps in your team!

Please don't worry there are over 5000 of us and we know maybe the location of one or two both none of the companies, except for me and every one knows my company is the Swine Industry in the great state of Mississippi.

Since you can't get rid of all of your weak leaders, you probably should lay low why you get a new resume on the streets and find a better place to gain job security. Next thing you know "mom" will be nesting in your arena.

Someone should just gain some strength and help everyone with a seperation action call it "quits and let her go!" With all the information you have given, it reads like there is no way that a "constructed discharge or wrongful termination" could be developed on her part.

Our President last week,I am told had a personal meeting with our company "error" that he placed in our arena. He told her enough is enough. Everyone else is happy and trying to work as a team except, she and if she could not straighten out her attitude, then she needs to find a new home or he will personally show her the door.

Someone in authority needs to open the box and let things happen for the companies' sake!

I am sorry we are not big enough to have our own purchasing agent, or I would most definately send you a Job description.

PORK

• Pork hit the nail on the head. The EE you described has not been supervised by anyone with a backbone. This lady must be related to the president to be able to get away with this. And the people she is ordering for, have they not complained far enough up the ladder to raise some eyebrows?

After you are done fixing this problem, you could consider turning your attention to training. The supervisors need to know something about feedback, evaluations and the discipline process.

As Pork usually says, HR is a support role, her manager(s) should carry the burden of developing this EE into the type of Purchasing Agent they expect.
  • Thanks for all your replies. As I indicated, the only supervisor that addressed her shortcomings and tried to make her do her job correctly was our office manager/controller. And because she did this, the "purchasing agent" talked about her to anyone who would listen so that they thought she was a bitty! Her current supervisor does not want to be her supervisor. He has told the General Manager that he doesn't have time to deal with her and the constant little issues that arise with her. He truly does not have time to deal with all of the problems she causes. I had another manager come to me yesterday morning and tell me what a negative attitude she has. She told this manager, and I quote, "Nobody's in charge of me. Terry (her supervisor) doesn't tell me what to do." Can you believe it! This person is also the one seen in the middle of a circle of other people whispering and spreading the lastest gossip. In my opinion, this individual does more damage and has more of a negative impact on this company than anything or anyone else. And, this has been going on for years. We have actually had people leave our company because of her. They have indicated that they can't stand to listen to her negative talk and actions, and see that nothing is ever being done about it. My plan right now is to go speak with our owner and recommend that the Purchasing Agent position be placed under the reporting structure of the Office Manager/Controller. This would actually be a very good fit along with the fact that this is the supervisor who will make sure that she does the job of Purchasing Agent. The office manager/controller's spouse has been the Purchasing Agent for a health care system for over thirty years. She knows what a Purchasing Agent is suppose to do! Anyone else have sample job descriptions for me?! I know I've been long and windy, but I'm about at the end of my rope with this individual! Isn't HR fun!
  • I have a job description I will send you. Our Purchasing Agent reports directly to me the Human Resources Director. Good luck.
  • Uh oh, more people reporting to accounting.
  • As my cellmate Pork might ask, why are you positioning yourself into the middle of all this mess? What is it about your work culture that has this going on and being addressed suddenly by Human Resources?
  • Hello,

I work for a manufacturing company too. I will send you a couple of job descriptions that should help you.

Our Purchasing Agent/Mgr reports to the VP Finance/Administration.

Good Luck

Njmhr1109MA