Written reference checks

Does anyone do written reference checks as opposed to calling over the phone? The company I work for used to use a form that they would send to references noted by the applicant. The form asks recipients to put checks next to statements which reflect the person they are evaluating and then it gets mailed back to us.

It seems to me that 1) it would be faster to call someone; and 2) people are reluctant to put that information in writing.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We actually only do employment verifications in writing. We require all requests to be faxed (or mailed) to us. This allows us to provide proof of the information we have provided.
  • Reference checks and employment verification are two separate activities. I would never send a form to a person from whom I wanted 'reference' comments on a candidate.
  • "I would never send a form to a person from whom I wanted 'reference'comments on a candidate."

You mean comments outside of dates, title and salary--right?

• Correct. It may be semantics, but reference checks and employment verification are two different things. I consider a reference check to be a conversation through which we obtain pieces of information about a candidate other than dates of employment and job title.
  • PAIGE: We do written reference checks on DOT drivers only, which calls for verification of employment, drug testing, comments on work history. We do this through a contracted service "DAC Services" who have been bought out, but you can access them still through the "DAC SERVICES" web name. They also pay us $10.00 for an update on employment history for all Class A drivers, with whom we seperate our employee/employer relationship. We do reference checks on management, but never on labor employees. We do police checks, when we have a reason to suspect someone with a bad record and/or a "bad person attitude". These types usually show their colors within the first 8 weeks of employment. Sometimes they can reach 90 days and beyond, but when we carry out our progressive discipline program they are soon gone. We do SSN# and NAME match searches on 100% of our employees, before we complete the hiring process! We do ask if there is, any reason why the employee/trainee will not be able to physically or mentally accomplish the specific functions of the position? Given a positive response to this question we dispatch the ee to the retained medical authority for a drug screen, after which they report to work!

From the above, you can get a feeling for what this company accomplishes in the area of reference and employment verifications.

PORK
  • "We do police checks, when we have a reason to suspect someone with a bad record and/or a "bad person attitude"."

What determines this characterization? I would think this would be one of those "do all or do none" type checks after job offer is issued.
  • >"We do police checks, when we have a reason to
    >suspect someone with a bad record and/or a "bad
    >person attitude"."
    >
    >What determines this characterization? I would
    >think this would be one of those "do all or do
    >none" type checks after job offer is issued.

Please explain how a police check is going to uncover a "bad person attitude". I have EEs with extremely bad attitudes that have never been arrested, maybe should have been but.....

• This is just another one of those things Pork has been lucky enough to 'coast' on without having a charge filed against him. It's like the guy who said "We pick out the lame ones and send them for a pre-employment physical". x:D
  • We do ask if there is, any
    >reason why the employee/trainee will not be able
    >to physically or mentally accomplish the
    >specific functions of the position? Given a
    >positive response to this question we dispatch
    >the ee to the retained medical authority for a
    >drug screen, after which they report to work!

Pork: I'm sure I'm misreading your comment. But, are you saying the only people you drug screen are those who tell you they will not be able to physically or mentally do the job?

• Our childcare license requires written and phone references, two each of personal and professional. We call each reference, get as much info as we can verbally and document the call, then advise them we will also send the form.

Calling them first gets more info, and has increased the written responses. x:)