Somebody is using my SS# calls?

Lately I have being getting calls from individuals that claim that we have employees ilegally using their SS# and these individuals are demanding for us to research the matter. We do background checks and we check ss# with the SS administration. my question is: how much responsibility/liability do we have? are we supposed to look into it?, I believe this type of problem is only going to get worst, has anybody experience this? and how do you handle it?.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tell them to take it up with the Social Security Administration. Maybe people are just yanking your chain or it could be a scam. Don't be duped. If you'd rather not tell them that, ask them to put their complaint in a signed letter and mail it to you.
  • Don is right on the money. If this were legitimate, and believe me, sometimes they are, you will get a form letter from the true person's local SSA field office along with a photocopy of the person's ID (picture only, everything else is blacked-out).

The form letter specifically tells you to take no action other than to answer the questions (date of hire, address, etc) and to refer the individual to the SSA office to correct the possible oversight.

I have gotten a few of these over the years and never have they originated from the individual.

Gene
  • I agree with both Don and TN. We have received these calls in the past and have just ignored them. You have no proof that the person on the other end of the phone is who they are claiming to be and you have no obligation to respond to them or to even check out their allegations. Only when we receive a written inquiry from a government agency (SS, IRS, police department), do we investigate and respond.
  • Next the callers will want your SS# and your bank information because they will be routing millions from Nigerian oil sales to your account to clear the money.

I am expecting to be able to retire from these types of proceeds any day now.
  • I have had this come up a couple of times. As everyone else has said, just direct them to the Social Security Administration. You have no responsibility in this matter.
  • Jbanda: I have been accused of reading, badly, so please help me to understand!

Your words appear to be identifying: "a caller calls your office to complain that your employees are using the caller's SSN". If I'm not incorrect, I would advise the caller to seek civil authority assistance (call the police and make a formal statement to someone).

If your employee/or ees is involved in criminal activity and fraudalently using someone else's identity, they might be, otherwise, be criminally involved within your organization. I am the victim of SSN and name thief and it can be very difficult to fix it once it happens.

You have no obligation to investigate the complaint toward your employee, but I would make certain anyone identified by the caller has no access to our corporate list of SSNs.

Have a nice day!

PORK
  • What, Pork? I fully expected you to run out to the hog house, don your Border Patrol suit (complete with light brown tights and green cape) and immediately go give the suspected foreign national a Rodney King style wooden shampoo all the while demanding that he re-produce his work authorization.

Sorry, it's friday and I couldn't help myself since you referenced part of the earlier thread. This is, of course, all in fun :)
  • YEP, and like hogs, they are very wise and they do bite the person that abused them, all in FUN. BS, take your "Tenn Hound Dawg" and climb a tree.

PORK