Not sure what to do...

I know that I am the only one who can ultimately answer this question, but I thought that I would bounce it off of you guys anyway...

My company recently went through a very difficult financial crisis. The result - 30% job cuts, including mine. Boo hoo for me.

Anyway - I have been approached by a friend of mine who is working for a sort of start up company. Their new, don't have a lot of funding and are trying to grow.

They don't have an HR, and can't afford one at this point, but have asked me to help them out. They have agreed to give me time off to interview should I need it and will take my assistance for as long as I can offer it.

Sounds good, doesn't it. I should jump on the chance right? Well, there are some cons to the situation as well.

The person currently responsible for anything HR is someone I know very well and don't really get along (AT ALL). We pretty much agree to avoid speaking to each other if and when possible.

The job is a bit far away and I would be doing heavy recruiting in an industry that I really don't care for. (Worked in it before). The type of ee's I would be recruiting for are not of the highest caliber, but that is just my opinion.

Anyway, on one hand, the money would help, and they would allow for me to use my time as I see fit, on the other hand, I don't like the industry or the primary person I would need to work with.

I had made up my mind to say no thanks, but then I had lunch with the CEO today and he made the job sound not so bad.

Now I am just confused. Do I enjoy my summer, collect unemployment, and gingerly search for another job, or do I jump back in, and swim with sharks - and keep looking at the same time?

I'm just lost on this one...

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Reading your post, several things jump off the page at me. You don't get along with, and have agreed not to speak to, the primary person you would have to work with; the job is far away and in an industry you don't care for; and, you would be recruiting the dreaded LOW CALIBRE employee! What's to debate? You would do them a terrible injustice if you were to go there.

I've been recruiting what you probably call 'low calibre' people all my life. That part of your post is very bothersome to any Human Resources professional reading it.

Good luck with your 'fork in the road'. x:-)
  • If you can afford it, don't take this job. If you don't like the industry and the person you have to deal with on a day to day basis,each day will be a living hell and you will hate to get up in the morning.

Enjoy your summer, collect unemployment and send out resumes to companies/industries you would like to work for. Enlist the aid of a "headhunter" and they may be able to come up with a suitable position for you.

Where are you located? A headhunter contacted me yesterday with a listing of excellent HR jobs if you might be willing to relocate.

I'll be happy to fax it to you.

• This may sound simple, but go with your gut instinct. I think, from what I read in your summary, that your gut is telling you to say "No", but you're trying to find a way to say "yes" and make it palatable for yourself. The CEO may be good at selling the job, but on a day-to-day basis, you wouldn't be working with the CEO but would be working with the guy/gal you don't like AT ALL!

Plus, I think some of your current hesitation may be due to feeling flattered by the CEO's interest in you and the fact that he wants you to work there. But you need to separate out the "emotion" and look at the facts.

Those are just my .02. Tough decision for you .. could go either way,x:-/ but could become clear if you look at it as objectively as possible. Good luck!th-up
  • Note that I have not read the other answers.
    Based on what you have said - You do not like your main contact, do not like the industry, far away, I would kick back and enjoy the summer. Maybe you could go work for the Atlanta Braves.
    Life is too short to involve oneself in something they do not want to do. Cheers,
  • It seems by your post that you had made up your mind prior to speaking with the CEO stick to your gut feelings. They are usually right on.
    Good Luck!

JMO,
    Lisa
  • It sounds like your head is telling you "no," but the greedy part of your head is telling you "yes," (I'm guessing the compensation is attractive, while UC is usually not) So my advice is go with your head....wait that's confusing you more. Honestly, based on what you said I don't think you'd be doing them a favor working there. Look for something you can go into that will float your boat. Then you will be giving them an honest effort.
  • The CEO must have offered an astronomical $$$. Add up what it's "worth" for the nontangibles you don't like. Say, an additional $10K to work with someone I can't work with, $5K to commute, $10K more for an industry I don't like, $20K to recruit low caliber employees. That's an additional $45K to buy you into doing what you don't really want to do - of course, set the price at which you can be 'bought.' Was the CEO a salesman in a former life?

I have a sign in my office: "THERE ARE NO UNIMPORTANT JOBS. THERE ARE NO UNIMPORTANT PEOPLE."

That's my take on caliber.
  • Here's a thought.......Why not "carve" a piece of work out this opportunity? You mentioned the commute and the person you dislike as some of the cons. Perhaps you could work-out a part-time/tele-commute/consulting gig out of this? Maybe it would be possible for you to create policies, EE handbook, etc from home. You could also bite the bullet and go ahead and recruit the "low caliber" skill sets from home and set-up a day in the office to do your face-to-face interviews.

Just a thought....

Good luck.

Gene
  • Very good idea. Best of boths worlds! Seems to me if they want you bad enough, they'll work with you on your terms. If they're not willing to "negotiate" these terms, then I would say "Thanks but no", kick back, take the summer off, and enjoy the break!

Good luck!
  • take the summer off, or look for a new job. you are to be complimented on your desire to help; but i wonder if your satisfaction will be worth it.

good luck

dynamite9551
  • If you can afford it, don't. If you need the money see if you can work from home so you can avoid the pain in the bohunkus.
  • Like others posts, I would suggest you have partly answered the question as to this being a career opportunity. It has too many large negatives to be considered a long-term opportunity.

But having been in your situation more than once, I would try to make this a transitional opportunity. Take the assignment on as a consultant. It has a short-term duration, you can set your hours and contribution based on an ongoing job search and you can write off your trips to the company and many expenses that an EE cannot.

Then do your job search during the assignment. One thing I am sure you know about start-ups, they are risky. Another thing that may impact your thought process is that many of the non-investors EEs in a start up do not stay. The nature of the jobs change with growth, investment changes, new players are brought in, etc. The person you do not get along with may be one of the early casualties and you could be standing there being the person in the right place at the right time.

Then you would need to really think about your concerns about the industry and the calibre of the people you are recruiting. And about that, I would echo Don D's words of concern about your mindset. That probably needs to change no matter what else happens.