Paid Maternity Leave

I am trying to find out if companies still pay maternity leave. We had an employee who went out on short-term disability and was upset when she found out the coverage was for six weeks. I think she was initially confused because she thought when electing the short term it would pay for 12 weeks. As we know - they just don't read the information given to them.

She is a valued employee and told me two of her friends received paid maternity leave for 12 weeks. I think she is still getting the issued mixed up with possibly even FMLA.

I have been asked to research this by the President of our company to find out if other companies (we are a 15 million dollar company) pay maternity leave? If you do - what does the company pay? Thanks everyone!!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • By law, maternity is to be treated as any other medical condition. When the doctor says you are fit to return to work, you either show up for work or take vacation for the remainder of the 12 weeks of FMLA. Giving better benefits to those on maternity leave than on other medical leave, sets you up for a bias claim. I would stick to maternity as a medical condition.
  • My current and former company offer Short Term Disability for maternity leave for 12 weeks, paying the 66.67% of the employees salary (same as what we pay out for any other disability). We included a provision in our STD policy that states that maternity leave is always allowed for the total of 12 full weeks. We see this as a benefit to the employees and find that really helps with moral.
  • Carrie - is your company self-insured or does the insurance company add a rider Also are you saying you pay all disabilities 12 weeks paid including something like a hysterectomy which is usually released by the doctor at 8 weeks?

• >Carrie - is your company self-insured or does
    >the insurance company add a rider Also are you
    >saying you pay all disabilities 12 weeks paid
    >including something like a hysterectomy which is
    >usually released by the doctor at 8 weeks?
    >

bgreene,
    We are not self-insured...we worked it out with insurance company that all maternity cases would be attomatically approved for 12 weeks. Other disability cases we only allowed for what the doctor covered and if they stayed out longer they could use sick/vacation or unpaid leave for the remaining weeks. Our insurance company said that this was a common practice.
  • We don't have maternity leave pay. If they have elected STD then they would get that benefit. Our STD pays up to 26 weeks.
  • We do not pay maternity leave...we also try to avoid calling it that so it doesn't sound like it's something more special/important than say, heart surgery!

However, the ee can use her sick time (whatever is available)for as long as her doctor certifies that she is PHYSICALLY unable to return to work. Any other time is taken as Vacation or Personal, or unpaid.

Few ee's can afford to go very long without a paycheck, so they're back as soon as the dr. clears them.
  • We have disability leave or personal leave. If you go out on a disability such as maternity the doctor is required to complete disability claim forms. Our STD carrier then processes the claim. The employee will receive disability payments up to 6 weeks after the birth. The rest of the leave is without pay.
  • We do not have maternity leave. STD kicks in 2 weeks after the last of the leave banks are exhausted and will last up to 12 weeks - then LTD kicks in if the medical condition persists.

FML runs concurrent with all other leaves.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-17-04 AT 11:01AM (CST)[/font][br][br]BGREENE: Maternity situation is a medical condition and the treating physician provides the medical documentation for the required conditions and limits on work. Our medical leave poilicy is alined with FMLA and we administer it in conjunction with our FMLA policy for all cases.

FMLA protects the position by federal law for those that qualify for FMLA. In our case, one may qualify for portions of the of the financial aspects of the medical leave policy and not fully qualify for the FMLA provisions. Natural child birth under the medical leave policy would get you 4 weeks of reduced pay and two weeks of vacation, sick, pay or portions thereof to include "no pay due" for the first two weeks if that is the appropriate situation, because none has been awarded. 6 weeks is the total income for natural child birth, after which, if qualified for FMLA the physician can require the ee to stay off for up to an additional six weeks with "no pay due", for child care, bonding, or ee stress after birth. If not qualified for FMLA the ee is terminated as a medical disqualification. If c-section IS THE REQUIRED PROCEDURE THEN 8 WEEKS IS THE OUTSIDE LIMIT; and the ee must pay her own medical premium for the last two weeks of the extended medical treatment period.

FMLA qualification and not qualified situations are explained to the ee at the same time and it is documented and signed by the ee! There should never be a case where an employee is allowed or capable of saying I did not know. This includes the male employees who are a part of the maternity situation. They too, can qualify for FMLA, but will not qualify for the medical leave policy and associated benefits. The male ee can not claim that he did not know and that we failed to tell him, this is explained in our "employee handbook" and we have a current document with his signature.

Yes it is a lot of time and paperwork, but it is time and money well spent to prevent a more costly litigation situation.

I certainly hope this helps you! Send me an e-mail, if you need further clarification.

PORK
  • Thanks Pork - we also have the FMLA spelled out in our Employee Handbook. Where the employee was confused was when she initially signed up for the short-term disability she thought it would pay for the full 12 weeks of being out because the policy states up to 12 weeks of coverage. She didn't understand if the doctor released her the disability payments cease.

The lesson I have learned is to let employees know when they elect diability coverage to spell out this benefit is treated as any other illness and will cover you up through your doctors release.

Thank you for all your help!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-17-04 AT 11:06AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We do not offer maternity leave with pay.

We have a voluntary STD & LTD plan that runs concurrent with State Dis up to max. $ allowed.

The STD starts after 2 wks goes to 90 days then LTD kicks in if needed.
  • We pay one month of "parental leave" to the primary caregiver or one week of parental leave to the secondary. This is on top of STD & runs concurrent with FMLA.
  • Pork,

Wouldn't the employee be eligible for the 6 weeks of bonding without the doctor's approval if they've only used 6 weeks for the birth?