HIV in the workplace

Our Sales Manager came up to HR yesterday to inform us of the following situation and to get our advice:
An employee who left the company last week had disclosed to his manager that he had been diagnosed with HIV (we are not aware what stage he was at). Apparently he had told another manager here that he has "had relations" with people and not informed them that he was infected. We believe that he may have had relations with some employees here (we do not know who). How do we handle this? Do we recommend to employees that they get tested? We dont' want to violate anyone's privacy. Also, if we do tell, do we only inform male employees (the ee was gay)? I guess I am not really sure what to do. This is a pretty scary situation.
Any advice is appreciated.

Carrie

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-17-04 AT 08:17AM (CST)[/font][br][br]You cannot share this information. As hard as it may be...you must not tell the other ee's what you've been told.

Hopefully, the former ee disclosed his condition to those he had "relations" with (even though he claimed not to) and used necessary precautions. And the risk to other ee's is nearly nonexistant in a typical workplace.

Check with your local health department, it may offer some options to you.

• You cannot say a thing to employees (if it involves their private lives.) However, if there is some reason to be concerned that is work related, you must take action, but discretely.
    (Great time to make use of EAP if you have one.)
    E Wart
  • I strongly agree that you should check with your local health department's STD clinic. I know that they have certain protocols regarding informing the partners of infected individuals. It may well be that they are not able to do anything if that individual has not, himself, informed them, but at least they will advise you and take any responsibility that they can.
  • Carrie...how many employees are there in the workplace? If you can bear the cost, one way to address this situation would be to offer to pay for HIV tests for all employees and simply be silent as to the reason.
  • Jake: Think about the ramifications of the message that would send! I can't imagine.

Second thought: The activities that result in HIV don't typically take place in any workplace environment I've ever been in.
  • We have 250 employees, 100 of which are in that department. We can not afford to offer HIV tests for all employees, nor do we want to send that message.

Don, the activities are obviously not taking place at the workplace, however they are occuring outside of work but with co-workers.

I guess it is just a very scary situation. We will contact the local clinic and get advice, but I think we can't really do much else.
    Thanks!
  • When you speak to the local clinic, you should get as much information as possible in case some one should come to you. For example, where can you direct someone who wants to get tested and doesn't want to go to their doctor. For example, do they have literature that you can keep in your desk. If some one needs your help, you should be prepared to help them.
  • Hi Don. No ramifications whatsoever, simply cover annual tests through the benefits plan. As for your second thought, sky diving probably doesn't occur in most work places but if one breaks their leg over the weekend doing it, I suspect the medical plan will cover it..
  • My point was that I couldn't see a correlation between someone being HIV and the workforce at the place being exposed. I appreciate your skydiving analogy, although I don't see anything about insurance coverage in the poster's concern. Nor would I send the rest of the place for x-rays if one of them broke a leg skydiving. That would seem a better analogy.
  • Carrie: Don't be surprised if the employees involved don't find out fairly quickly. It appears that he told at least two other people in the organization that (1) he has HIV and (2) had relations with others in the company.

Knowing the propensity of people to pass on information, be prepared to get calls from employees. I would direct them to medical care and your EAP.