Help

I have an employee who refuses to sign the signature page of the company’s handle book that outlines all policies and procedures for the organization. She claims that she does not understand certain policies that have been put into place (Grievance being one of them). However, she at the sometime feels that she has the right to grievance other employees. 1. Does she have the right to grievance if she chooses not to sign off on company policies and 2. Can we suspend her until she signs the employee handbook?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Go over what she claims she doens't understand to make sure she understands.

If she refuses to sign for the receipt of the Handbook then have a manager or another supervisor witness her receipt of the handbook and her refusal to sign the receipt. Note it on the reciept and on the handbook. "This is to acknowelege that the emplyee has refused to sing for the reciept of the handbook. She was given the handbook on X date at x time. Signed supervisor, the witness )both dated.

Tell her that even though she didn't sign for the receipt of the handbook, she is still responsible for knowing what is in it and for complying with its policies.

Confirm all that in writing to her and at the tie you give her the handbook and have the witness sign off on her refusal include her refusal (I suspect there'll be one) to sign for the memo.

Give her the nadbook, a copy of the witnessed refused receipt and a copy of the memo.

And move on.

If you're tricky enough, tell her that you need her to sign off on her refusal to sign for receipt. "This is to acknowledge that I refused to sign the receipt when I received the handbook on x dat at y time from my superisor, Johnny Jones. signed" the employee on x date." Then you won't have to hav a wtiness to the refusal.
  • Careful Hatchetman, someone else chastised me for being tricky with the ee's.

Seriously, I do as Hatchetman suggests when someone refuses to sign a document - the supervisor (witness) and myself sign and date that ee refused to sign. Never had it happen on receipt of a handbook, but a few times for written reprimands.
  • We make this a condition of continued employment - that they sign the original disclaimer for the handbook. The disclaimer states that they realize the handbook is on line - that they know how to access the handbook on line and if they have any questions about any of the policies and procedures,they are to contact Human Resources for clarification.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-07-04 AT 08:02AM (CST)[/font][br][br]JULIO: When we enroll a person we have the individual sign for the receipt of the company handbook. Anyone refusing to sign for a company handbook receipt page stops the in-processing in its track. I suggest that everyone should do this, thus eliminating the issue. I have put this in place in every company in which I have had the opportunity to serve as the HR. The signature is only a testimont of the fact that she received the handbook.

You could in fact have a special meeting with this person with a witness, then issue her a new employee handbook with the explanation that the contents have no bearing on the meeting. "She is only signing for a piece of company property to which the ownership OF THE WORDS AND MEANINGS transfers to the employee in order to keep the company at its words, immediately. Additionally, explain the receipt of this piece of company property is her legal point of fact, that the company now must stand on any issue as written." She is not giving the right of refusal of the words, whether she does or doesnot understand them.

Should the ee refuse with the witness present, simply make a pen statement on the signatue page that "the company property (employee handbook)was issued to this named person at 10:22 AM, on this date, with witness and HR manager present, in her place for signature, write in "EMPLOYEE REFUSED TO SIGN FOR THE DOCUMENT". Both you and the witness sign the booklet in her presence and then make a copy of the signed page and issue the signee handbook to the ee AGAIN.

The final thought is that this individual is apparantly an ee with a non-trusting attitude and you should simply let her go now, before it grows into a bigger issue and concern. I would do this after the second special meeting and any further negative attitude toward your desire to provide the ee with the company Bible, the EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK!

PORK
  • i guess i would need to know how the "signature page" of the employee handbook is worded, e.g., is it just an acknowledgement that employees has received the handbook and is aware of the policies of the company? you can't force an employee to sign BUT you certainly can ask her to acknowlege her refusal to sign citing her reasons. (that's the next best thing to a signed page). there's no guarantee she'll ever understand certain policies and may be confused that understanding a policy is the same as "agreeing" to a policy. We have had a lot of employees refuse to sign because they disagree with a specific policy and we have them state that on their "acknowledgement". you cannot suspend her until she decides to sign. hope this helps.
  • It's not unusual for the occasional, obstinate employee to refuse to sign for this or other items, especially union members. Simply have a witness attest that the material was given to the ee who refused to sign. I wouldn't get too anal about other witnesses, tricking him into signing (singing?) or lengthy documentation. A witness signature and the entry, ee refused to sign acknowledging receipt should do. All you want it to do for you in the first place is support your claim in a UI or EEOC hearing that he was indeed handed the material.

If this were part of the signup process for a new employee, they would be out the door immediately. A serious sign of things to come.

I hope Hatchetman won't mind my levity at his expense, but I noticed at one point in his response he did mention an employee SINGING for his handbook. I'm sure that has been ruled illegal in California. Down here we make them work the rockpile, but never have them sing.
  • We do what Pork does...all these items are covered in orientation class. Refusal to sign means your orientation stops - plain and simple.

However, if this is a long time employee and your trying to get acknowledgment signatures for an upadated or new handbook, I'd do as the others say, get a witness that she refused and set it in file. She's still responsible for the information - and you make sure she knows that.