Dyslexic Applicant

I interviewed an applicant about one month ago and had him take a standardized test for the position he was applying for. The test is something we are required to give to anyone wanting a position like this (machine set-up) per our collective bargaining agreement.

He did not score high enough for me to offer him the position and I told him this in the letter I sent him letting him know that we offered the position to someone else.

He called yesterday and informed me that he has a "little dyslexia" and that he sometimes reads words backwards, etc. He did not say anything about this in the interview or while I was reading him the instructions for the test. Nor did he bring it up when I asked him if there were any questions, etc. regarding the test.

Am I now required to give him another test and allow him another opportunity for another opening?

If I am required to give him another test, what can I do different?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Required by whom? Do you have another position available for which he is now applying?

He requested no accommodation during his interview/testing and received none. Sorry, I do not see the issue here.

• No, you aren't. He missed his opportunity to ask for a testing accommodation. An ability to read is a requirement of your machine setup jobs. Having someone read to him the setup instructions and the multitude of other materials one must read is not a reasonable option. So, I don't see the point in having that done during the test. I would think that even though he might have passed the test with a reader, he still would not qualify for the position. But, it's moot.
  • Linda,
    Check out the recent Kohler LIRC/WFEA case regarding applicants and disabilities in Wisconsin. I agree that since he did not ask for an accommodation that your in a good position.