Bathroom Breaks

What about bathroom breaks? What do we do about employees who routinely take lengthy (>15 minutes) bathroom breaks, usually prior to the start of the department-wide morning break or afternoon break? Can we make them forfeit their break? There is no medical issue or sickness related to these lengthy breaks. Are there any laws specific to bathroom breaks? (This happens more often than you would think!)

Thank you!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • LESHR: Whoa this one should bring out some interesting comments for about a minute. Have the immediate supervisor in for some training and discussion on how he/she is leading their troops!

The individual needs to be informed of the negative attention she/he is drawing upon their person which is a behavior that is only controlled by the individual and it must be brought under control. Medical concerns may be an issue, but I doubt that, if it is, then deal with the same. This is not a school environment where "permission for a P-break" is automatic and when close to the scheduled group break she/he should take care of one's personal need to flush then. If this need comes early then that is also when your 15 minute break will also start.

Tell her/him to eat more PORK, it might he good for theri health.

PORK
  • What does your policy say? Ours allows one 15 minute break in the middle of every 4 hours worked. If you have scheduled department breaks, I would explain to the employee that they get one break... either 15 minutes prior to everyone else's break, or with the rest of the department.

• Are these non-exempts who punch a clock? Do they punch-out when they go on break?
  • If there is no medical reason for the extended bathroom breaks, write up the employee for taking extended unapproved time away from their work. I'm curious though how you know there is no medical condition?
  • I'm with Njjel...
    How do you know there is no medical reason.

Word of caution here on making that assumption right away.