Is a Ghost Tour Inappropriate?

Have a slight dilemma that I could use some feedback on. I don't think it's a big deal, but political correctness and paranoia (not to mention lawyers) compel me to run it past my colleagues here.

We are hosting a management conference for approx. 10 of our managers here in Portland next month. One of the coordinators has arranged for an evening activity that includes a ghost tour of historic and "haunted" locations. I don't see a problem, but I am concerned about one manager who is a devout Christian (not sure what denomination) and don't know what she would think about this activity.

What is your opinion? Is an activity such as this appropriate for a work-related conference, or am I just being overly sensitive, paternalistic, patronizing or all of the above?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You are being overly sensitive, paternalist and patronizing. x:-)

Seriously, I don't think it is a big deal. I assume attendance is optional and a side event? You could always ask her.
  • Attendance is optional. Thanks, sonny. x:-)
  • I would just explain the event to her before the day and tell her that if she feels uncomfortable, then you will understand (as will other managers) if she does not attend the event.
  • "I would just explain the event to her before the day and tell her that if she feels uncomfortable, then you will understand (as will other managers) if she does not attend the event."

I agree with HCCADC. Explain the event & let her decide to attend or not. You may want to have an alternative activity as there may be more who might not appreciate attending this type of activity. Just a thought.
  • My only caution is extend this courtesy to everyone who is participating. You "know" that she is "religious", but you may not know for sure what the others believe or practice, so give everyone the same opportunity as you give her.
  • Beagle, it is good that you have taken this person into consideration. I say do it and agree with Sonny, contact here ahead of time to let her know and gauge her reaction. That way if she is opposed you can help her save face.
  • I don't think I'd single her out though, let everyone know ahead of time what the event is.

I don't think its inappropriate, I think it sounds like fun, but everyone is different.
  • I agree with Rad -
    You should inform all possible attendees of the events and let them decide for themselves if they wish to attend or opt out of the event. No need to single out one person because YOU believe she may be offended.

• How often, and why, do ghosts go on tours?
  • maybe I am envisioning this wrong. I am familar with conferences that have several evening activities. Take a ghost tour, take a boat ride, go to the Flats and hit the bars, take in a play etc. All events are publicized and many you have to sign up for. If this is the case here, I really am not sure beag has to do anything..If it is NOT publicized and the ONLY event, then I would say something.

How often, and why, do ghosts go on tours?

Around here it is every night and they do so to support the local economy. x;-) It is a huge tourist-y thing (racket?). There is quite a bit of local history incorporated.

• sonny, you know, that's a great idea and I would love to have a number of nifty events for people to attend, but this particular event fit the criteria we had established - it's FREE! x;-)

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I have listed the ghost tour on the conference agenda for 7:00 - 8:00 pm as a subheading under the overall caption "Released for the Day" at 4:30 p.m. The morning of the first day I will reiterate that they are free to do whatever they like and offer the ghost tour as an option.
  • I think that will work fine.
  • I'm religious and I would not be offended by this at all. I would probably go and have a great time. However, there are plenty of people who might not want to go not matter what their religious status - it might just be scarey to them or they may have superstitions about it, etc. I think you are doing a unique and fun thing and of course you are on the right track keeping it optional. If people want to come, cool. If they don't, that's fine too.

Think of it this way - Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons typically do not drink or smoke. If you were going to have a little get together in the hotel bar after the conference they could certainly come and drink soda or juice. However, they wouldn't have to go if they didn't want to. Could you imagine one of them complaining about the event being in a hotel bar? I'd bet they wouldn't.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 01:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I say you are obsessing over nothing. Have you checked the ages of all of your participants to determine which ones might be incontinent and therefore should not be exposed to ghosts and other things that might trigger their bladders?

Or do you know which ones might not see well at night or those who can't stay sober at night and can't make the tour? The whole notion of contacting someone to ask if she would be offended by a ghost because you've heard she is religious is waaaaay over the top and is ill advised. Any meeting I've been to in the past several decades always is preceded with some sort of flyer or letter advising the agenda and the activities scheduled for off hours. That should have already been done. And if you have fat people coming, are they aware of the offending platters of cookies on the table in the back of the seminar?

Oh, and by the way, be extra cautious not to expose this 'religious woman' to any Jewish people while she's in town. She might faint!
  • Check #10, Don. It's a done deal. The agenda's already published.

And while I agree with your sentiments in principle, it's unfortunate that our litigious society and the volatile nature of employment law have created this type of knee-jerk, paranoid approach to employee relations. I'm just trying to make sure we minimize our exposure.

And as far as I know, we have no incontinents among our managers, but we do have a Depends dispenser next to our bloodborne pathogen spill kit and the first aid kit. x;-)
  • Well, then be sure to carry them along on the ghost tour. Nothing ruins a company outing like a ghost scaring the crap out of a person. Take the Defib along too.
  • I hate it when people get the crap scared out of them. But it really gets ugly when people get the CARP scared out of them. That' a sight to see.
  • AS USUAL DON YOU MADE MY DAY!LOL

I AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOU.
    THIS IS WAY OVER THE TOP.

• Beagle,

I'd describe myself as a devout Christian and I would jump at the chance to take a ghost tour. Of course, I'd also sign up for a Bigfoot tour, Loch Ness, crop circles, etc.

Maybe its more of a personal interest issue rather than a religious one.

If YOU DO OFFEND said Christian, please feel free to lay 100 percent of the blame on me.

By the way, I know of a bed and breakfast in Portland that should be on your list of haunted places if it isn't already. There was a six foot Raggedy Ann doll in the living room that I swear got up and moved around in the middle of the night.
  • Thanks, Paul. I think I may be overly paranoid about the whole issue. I remember, growing up, some of my friends were fundamentalist Christians and they ghosts = the occult = evil = Satan and they would have no part of it. In any event, I was just trying to be sensitive to, uh, sensitivities...

Six foot Raggedy Ann? In a B&B? In Portland? This I gotta see! Only real hot haunted place I know of in Portland is The White Eagle Tavern, I usually try to make it there on Halloween Night (and KATU invariably does a news story about them every Halloween). So, I'm anxious to see what the Oregon City ghost tour is like that we've arranged for our AGMs. x:-)
  • Line them up with a hooker and a tour of a liquor store. Even the Baptists and Methodists I know would appreciate that if there are no cameras around. x:-)
  • Sounds like fun, make mine a double. I have to clear something up... I'm a Methodist and cameras don't bother me

x0:) on Sunday and x}> Monday through Saturday

• Beagle and Paul - there are actually books out there about haunted Portland/Vancouver Metro Area as well as haunted Pacific Northwest. You can find them at Powell's or Amazon I'm sure. I remember one is called Ghost Stories from the Pacific Northwest. Even my little ole' Vantucky has ghost stories / sightings spring up every once in awhile.
  • Hey Beagpuss, I would love to go on the tour. How does one get their name on your list? I could be your guest. Or maybe your assistant? Or maybe your ghost expert? Huh? Huh?