Unreasonable Employee Accusations

Greetings, Gang!
I have a new ee that in EVERY SINGLE contact with me (on the phone, during daily office business...) seems to dislike me so immensely that she speaks to me (I'm the OPS Mgr, she is a Part Time Hourly...) with such vehemence and disrespect. She was at a satellite location this AM, and I called her just moments ago to see how her morning went, if there were concerns, etc... she began to raise her voice, accusing me of 'Checking up on her' and having a hidden agenda, and playing games with her, tracking her, etc... I was REALLY just calling to see how her AM appointments went, and to verify her schedule for tomorrow. I was dumb founded & flabbergasted. I lost my composure, and really did not know what to say, hearing her yell at me on the phone. I have been a manager for 20+ years, supervising literally hundreds of ees. I have NEVER dealt with one person, that I was trying to be supportive and 'team' oriented with -- that reacted so negatively to me.
She is new, and has had many issues (kids, family, schedules etc... ) in the short time she's been with us. Maybe she's looking for a scapegoat, or a reason to quit or be fired. I am at a loss - I have never BEEN or ACTED any of the ways I was accused of being - how can a person real so strongly with absolutely no basis in truth to my ACTUAL attitudes, personality & actions? I know that PERCEPTION is REALITY to some folks, but I have never given her any reason to suspect my motivations - and she has accused me of this behavior at every turn.
Any ideas???
Lori in MD

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you her direct supervisor or department head? If not, what department is she in and how does it interact with Operations?

Talk to her supervisor (if you're not her direct super) and see if they are having similar problems with her.

If you are her supervisor or department head, I would sit down with her and her supervisor and have a heart-to-heart with her and outline guidelines for the professional behavior you expect from her (I have a list of guidelines if you'd like them). Then tell her that her unprofessional conduct will not be tolerated.

Explain to her that you are not trying to check-up on her and ask her why she is acting in such a manner. Ask open ended questions and try to get her to talk to you.

If the pattern continues, start progressive discipline.

LFernandes
  • Sounds to me like she might be disturbed to the point of being paranoid or....she is really doing something she is not supposed to be doing and is afraid you are going to find out.

The previous advice was good - to sit her down and let her know what is and what is not acceptable behavior in the workplace.

Her reaction to your "face to face" conversation will tell you a lot.
  • I disagree with LFernandes, well her very last sentence. Sit her down have the chat etc. Make it clear, if this happens again, there will be no progressive discipline, she will be terminated for insubordination. No third chance to act like this to you OR any other person in the organization.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I'm with DJ on this one. Tell her that this is her first and final warning: cut the crap or take a hike.
  • Cinderella: I hate it when you beat around the bush. Tell us what you really think! x:-)
  • Just make sure that your progressive discipline policy (if you have one) states that the company reserves the right to skip any steps depending on the infraction and go straight to termination.

BTW - how long is this EE been with your company? If she's in her probationary period then cut your losses and start advertising for a replacement.

LFernandes
  • You say that this is a new employee. You've allowed a new employee to establish a negative, aggressive turf and now you've got to undo it. I agree with Balloonman in that I would not sit down and have a chat, nor would I explain that I was not checking up on her. You don't owe her any explanations. Be formidable and establish your non-tolerant of her volatile attitude turf.

Don't be afraid of the confrontation. Keep your cool. If she doesn't like what you say - off with her head.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to the Forum!

• Good Morning!
    Wow! Thanks for the supportive replies...
    I met with the Principals of our co last night, and we came to the same conclusions... This ee has been here 3 weeks, and, unless she ends her combative behavior, we are prepared to pursue the 'cut your losses' strategy! Interestingly enough, she actually called the COO, and said "If you want me to quit, I will..." Peculiar phrasiology - if we WANT her to quit??? We are also suspecting that she may have 'issues' - so your comment about paranoia may not be far from wrong!!
    Thanks so much, you guys, for the prompt replies! She was supposed to contact our manager last night about today's schedule... so I will know soon if she -
    A: Did or didn't call in, or
    B: Did or didn't show up for work this AM or
    C: Called and Quit

Today should be interesting!
    Thanks again,
    Lori

• so.... what happened?? Did she quit? :DD
  • If she's only been there 3 weeks, then I can almost guarantee that your warning to her isn't going to change her behavior. She isn't going to change. People are normally on their best behavior in the early weeks of a new job & its bad news when they're not. Its already headed downhill...cut your losses now!