Resignation, changed mind

What are your thoughts concerning an employee who submits their resignation giving two weeks notice and after the first week states the they wish to stay? Yea or nay?

Thanks

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Guess their replacement job fell through, huh? My (unwritten) policy, based on experience, is not to allow rescission of resignations. Let the person GO! Especially if there are performance issues -- take advantage of the circumstances.

That being said, if an employee comes to HR before submitting a resignation and explains circumstances (low pay, difficult supervisor, etc.) and requests intervention before a "forced" resignation, or if a move out of town fell through and they are otherwise an excellent employee, that is a different matter.

• Ditto..............sorry we have accepted your resignation. :-)
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • My opinion usually is... when an employee turns in a resignation, and you don't try to move heaven and earth to try to get them to stay, then it really doesn't matter if they go. If they resigned, let the resignation stand.
  • It's up to you! Maybe base it on previous performance and if you have already announced/filled the position. Was this person valuable to your company and the loss would otherwise hurt you? If you're ready to let them go simply state that your resignation was accepted. Let them reapply if they would like....
  • How difficult would it be to replace the employee? Would you have more trouble with or without him or her? Consider the possibilities both ways.

On a personal note, I quit a nine years ago--realized I had made an enormous mistake and my supervisor gladly welcomed me back. (Fortunately for me, my resignation was over the Christmas/New Year's holidays and the agency hadn't hired anyone to replace me yet!) And to make the situation all the better for me, they allowed me to keep my seniority date and pay rate. So, sometimes it is win/win to take an employee back--my eleventh service anniversary is in July.
  • Thanks all for the quick response. It sure helps to have others with which to discuss HR matters. You've added confirmation to my initial thought. If the EE was ready to resign and committed it to paper, they will eventually do it again. Let them go so they and the company can move on.

Thanks again.
  • Well, you did get a couple of responses that indicated something other than "just let them go". In general, I agree with "just let them go", however there may be an occasional good reason to accept the retraction and let them stay. Look at all the circumstances before making the decision and make a business decision - does it make business sense to allow the person to stay.