Termination

We have a newly hired supervisor who did not report to work as scheduled for first two days of employment. Suspect alcohol abuse. New hire disclosed in interview that they had been on 12-step program; background showed DUI. What are our options for termination?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • He's not even started yet and he's a no-call no-show for two days??? If this is a violation of your attendance policy, stick to that and discipline.

• Forget the alcohol. This person is never going to work out because they didn't even make it to the first day. Simply fire him for not showing up the first two days of the job.
  • I agree that termination is in order, immediately, unless you get evidence that he was in a coma somewhere. But, prior abuse, a 12 step program and a DUI on a record, does not necessarily equate to 'suspected alcohol abuse'. Could be, but who knows. Cut a termination document quickly and send him an overnite, certified letter, advising that you are retracting the job offer and he is not to report under any circumstances.
  • Did this supervisor show up on the 3rd day? If this person never showed, I would call and advise them that the job offer has been rescinded.

Had this been my problem, if the individual reported for work on the 3rd day, I would have advised them that the job offer has been cancelled and explain why.

• I would have probably terminated the first day, unless, as Don said, there were some mitigating circumstances that came into play. In that event, there would be conversation between the new EE and myself to make sure our policies and expectations were crystal clear.

I would also look at the screening and interview process to determine what I could have done better to have screened out this type of issue prior to finding out the hard way like you are now doing.
  • Mitigating circumstances???? Unless he is dead or in a coma, he could have called. I would terminate immediately.

Cherrye
  • The circumstances would have to be unusual to derail a termination, but they can happen. The dead excuse you mentioned would have worked, but then it would have been difficult to complete our orientation period.x;-)
  • We have a job abandonment policy if an EE is no call no show for 3 days it's instant termination.

Since this supervisor didn't show for the first 2 days, I would probably terminate them UNLESS they were told the wrong start date. Do you have any documentation indicating their start date? i.e.; offer letter? I wouldn't get into the alleged alcohol abuse with this person. I would stick with whatever attendance policy you have.

I agree with the others... this person sounds like they will be a problem child. Deal with it now while you still have resumes for the open position and find a replacement.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

LF

• Absent a verified serious reason - cut the cord.
    Short & Simple. No sense in discussing further.