break times

Do we have to give two fifteen minute breaks and a lunch break?
If so can we make the employee clock out on all of them?
Is it up to the company to decide when the employee takes these breaks?
this is in regards to an eight hour period.
If an employee says if you don't like it you can fffing fire me to a superior isn't that considered insubordination?

Please help me I need to have these questions answered.

Sincerely
In need of help
Stephanie

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whether your company is required to have rest and meal periods is a matter of your state's wage and hour law.

However under FLSA, if an employer provides a rest period of 20 minutes and under it must be paid (for each such period). Usually the employee may leave the immediate work area.

Meal periods are considered to be 30 minutes or more, which under FLSA need not be paid if the employee is completely relieve of duty for that time). State law may also dictate when the meal period is to be taken, if it requires one at all.
  • Welcome to the Forum, Steph. Here is a great site that has all of the contact info for Iowa's DOL: [url]http://www.iowaworkforce.org/files/contiwd.htm[/url]
    Definitely worth bookmarking or printing out.

On that same note, I found this PDF document [url]http://www.iowaworkforce.org/labor/iosh/consultation/wagehourfaq.pdf[/url]
    that states the following breaks are required in your state:
    1. Minors young than 16 must be given a 30 min break if they are employed five hours or more each day.
    2. All employees must be allowed toilet breaks when needed.
    3. Workers under union contracts that promise breaks must be given those breaks in accordance with the contract. Truck driver breaks - see the DOT for info.

Now, all that being said, here is MY OPINION: Non exempt employees should be given two 15 minute breaks on the clock and at least 30 (preferably 60) minute meal period off the clock for every 8 1/2 to 9 hour workday. For example:

830am- clock in
    1030am- 15 min break
    1230pm- clock out for lunch
    130pm- clock in from lunch
    330pm- 15 min break
    530pm- clock out

I say this because this is "standard" in my area and keeps employees and employers happy. Employers have the right to set break and meal period times in Washington and Oregon. Your state's site wasn't specific on that portion of your question, so I would get on the phone to Iowa DOL for that. They also didn't specify if employees can be required to clock out for the break periods. I would bet that they cannot be required to do so if the break is under 10 min but again call your state's DOL.

If an employee says "if you don't like it you can f-ing fire me" that would be considered insubordination and unprofessional behavior in my company. What it is in your company depends on your policies, that one is pretty straight forward though. I would want to know the context more before I gave you a definite answer because you never know WHAT the arguement was about. I mean, if a supervisor said the employee had to sleep with them to get a promotion and the employee replied with "NO! And if you don't like it you can f-ing fire me!" that is a little different.
  • thank you for responding, I called the Iowa Labor
    Commissioner and she said that I'am not required to give any breaks nor a lunch break the only thing that I'am required to give is toilet breaks.

As for the other I will explain.

An employee was on the phone when he was supposed to be working on a truck. I asked him who he was talking to when he got off of the phone and he said his girfriend and if I didn't like it I could just Ffffing fire him. Please tell me your opinion on this.

Thank You
    Stephanie
  • Technically, it isn't insubordination as generally contemplated in traditional labor relations.

It is rudeness to a supervisor and in that sense it is a form of insuborinate type behavior that is disciplineable.

If you're in an at will situation with the employee, you could fire him.

But if you are under contract, or in a union enviroonment or have a discipline policy that identifies under what conditions immediate discharges are to take place, you may be limited in what you can do now. Do you have a progressive disicpline policy?
  • I would add to others..If you have a company policy on use of the telephone for personal calls on company time, you should include it in any warning or suspension that is done.
  • My opinion is this: If someone is talking on the phone when they should be working, and this is something they have done more than once (OR if they were sitting there with their feet up for 20 minutes while the other ee's were toiling away) I would most likely wait until they were off, call them into my office and explain our policy on personal phone calls during work times. I wouldn't ask who they were talking to because I wouldn't care nor want to hear the litany of excuses that may come with it. Usually - in most companies I've worked at - personal phone calls are okay on breaks/lunches or if it is really quick (i.e. "can you pick me up I'll be in the lobby" or "I'll pick her up from daycare in 20 minutes") or an emergency. Then again, I'm speaking of office environments where everyone has their own phone line and personal calls are not that big of a deal. It may be very different in your environment and situation. I think the key here is that you asked him who he was talking to and that pushed a button (it also sounds like he has a serious problem with attitude/behavior towards you and/or others in charge). Perhaps if you had just said that you realize he was on a personal call and he needed to abide by xyz policy in the future.
    ANYWAY, can't go back and change the past. Like other posters have said - if this is a union environment you will need to utilize the progressive dicsipline steps outlined in it. If it's not a union environment, I would call the ee into your office, explain any policies the company has that he broke (i.e. personal use of co. property, etc.) and tell him he's a) terminated b) receiving xyz dicsipline. You have to decide if you want to term him or not. Does this happen a lot? How have you handled it in the past? Are you willing to set a precedent? Think about those things before you decide.
  • That is not insubordination. Insubordination occurs when you give a reasonable....I say reasonable...directive and the EE says "no" and then does not carry out the directive. If the EE said "no," BUT still carried out the directive, that would also not be insubordination. What your EE did was disrespectful and completely out of line, and he deserves to be disciplined. Just what level of discipline depends upon your company polices AND practices. If you're in a union environment, you're probably locked into a formal policy of progressive discipline; HOWEVER, you can "jump the chain" so to speak depending on the offense committed. You wouldn't issue a Verbal Warning to someone with a pristine record who steals a company vehicle and sells it for gambling money, right? However, you still have to think about your work environment. If you work at a place where profane language is common, termination might not fly in this case, so an un-paid suspension might be more appropriate.
  • But, labor markets being what they are, it all boils down to how bad you need a truck mechanic and how hard it is to find one. In an extremely tight market, you may want to thank him for his kindness and provide him with a cell phone.
  • I wish to thank you for your response, do you work in a mechanic enviornment? But my question to you is where was his kindness? We have a no cell phone policy, as for the office phone we have had to many instances in the past that customers have complained that their mechanic was on the phone and are they being charged for that. Too many personal phone calls led to us making that decision. As for the breaks no wanted to take one untill now beacause they would rather be paid for the whole day. I'am not sure if this is just retaliation against the employer for the employee being reprimanded for the phone poilcy or not.

I wish for your response
    Thank You
    Steph
  • I think Don was being sarcastic. No way would he say "thank you" to some punk who told him to f-off and then give him a cell phone - tight labor market or not.

Steph - are you saying that you have a written policy in your workplace that says "no personal phone calls period" or something similar? If so, I would definitely (at least) write him up for breaking the policy and for unprofessional behavior towards you. That's what I would do at minimum.

What do you have written down in your policies in regards to breaks and meal periods? You say that no one wanted them until now - but does you policy say "no breaks are allowed?" If so, I would change it and give the employees the option to work an 8 1/2 hour day taking two paid 10-15 minute breaks and 30 minutes unpaid meal period. If they don't want to take the breaks, they don't have to, but at least have something written that says they are entitled to take them if they choose to. Sounds like the Iowa DOL doesn't care either way. You should also "stop the meter" on the customer's cars/trucks when breaks occur (of course I may be being overly idealistic here).
  • Cinderella,

We do have a no cell phone and a no use of the phone policy but only in an emergency. If they wish they can clock out to take a break and then make a phone call which we do have stated in our handbook. Untill now after the 14 years that I have been here has anyone demanded 2 fifteen minute breaks or a lunch for that matter. I would not have had a problem with him using the phone if he would have only asked me before he did it,this would have made this entire situation non existent.

Thanks
    Stephanie
  • Before we were given more information, I was assuming the precurser to the phrase "and if you don't like it you can f-ing fire me" was "No" as in "No I won't do that" which would make it insubordination. Crout and Hatchetman's posts are correct.
  • Back to your question on breaks. It's been established you are not required by law to give ee's a break other than lunch, but why would you not allow them breaks? Studies and articles I've read indicate people perform better when allowed the periodic break. The anticipated savings by working them straight through may be lost to inefficiency and reduced quality.
  • Good point, Ray. As I mentioned before - breaks make ee's and er's happy (and safer, more sane, more productive, the list goes on)! th-up
  • Ray,

The majority of our employees would rather not take a break considering the type of work that we are in it means if they did then 9 times out of ten they would have to stay late to finish the job that they are working on. Most do not even take a lunch break because they would rather have the money. So in those cases do you make them take a lunch break or leave it up to the employee to take one if I made them all take lunch breaks some of them would not be very happy with me.

Please respond

Thank You
    Steph
  • We have some ee's who do not take breaks, they would rather keep working than socialize. Here in NY, we must give ee's a lunch break of at least 30 minutes after 6 hours of work - little more detailed than that, but good enough for this discussion. Ee's do not have the option of declining to take a lunch. The employer is obligated by law to enforce the requirement or be subject to penalties. I suspect it is similar in IA. We tell the ee's the lunch break will be deducted from their daily hours so there is no financial benefit for them to work it.
  • I am trying to picture myself in this situation with the employee on the phone.

I would immediately suspend the employee for three days. After three days, the employee could meet with me and his supervisor and offer an explanation.

If the explanation or apology were satisfactory, I would allow him to continue working but might require some anger management training.

If the employee was unrepentant or even hostile, I would terminate him.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-13-04 AT 05:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]
    Paul, while I have no great issue with your idea of immediate suspension in a sitution like that, I believe that if you fired him for being unrepentant upon his return you would have in essence disciplined him twice for the same offense.

While that is not "illegal" and, outside of union contracts and/or arbitrable disciplinary actions, not a violation of employee rights, "double jeopardy", as what you described could be called certainly, would lead to bad employee relations with the workforce and increased non-belief in the integrity and support of the employer's discipline process. The employer would be saying one thing in its policy but doing another in its practice, unless it put in the discipline policy, "that upon return from a suspension, if the employee is not then sincerely remorseful, he or she will then be fired for the original act."
  • Ray - it's similar in WA and I think OR too (the part about no skipping meal periods allowed). But honestly, I don't think Iowa is in the same boat. I looked all over the web for some clear laws on this and couldn't find any (no, I do not have better things to do!). It's weird. x:-/
  • You're right, Cinderella. I didn't catch the part where Steph said she called and not even a lunch break is mandatory.
  • I'm sure glad I don't work in Iowa...my tummy would be rumbling all day! :-S
  • All of you guys have been great in telling me what you would do. I really appreciate all of the feedback that I have been getting!!

And yes I think that it is strange that Iowa does not even require a lunch break.

Thank You
    Stephanie

• Steph - Arizona doesn't either, and it makes for a real nightmare sometimes. From industry to industry - even department to department - it's hard to find a standard. Some work eight for eight allowing the two 15 minute paid breaks, most work 8 1/2 for 8, breaks and 1/2 hour lunch, and admin is usually 9 for 8 with breaks and hour lunch.
  • Break and lunch periods not required in Louisiana either, but I know of no one in Louisiana who isn't allowed at least a lunch period.