personnel files

How long do I have to keep records on active employees? Things like: error sheets, performance reviews, wage increase documentation, department transfers. And how long on medical issues; doctors notes and such as that even FMLA paperwork?

Thanks.
-T

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • FMLA: 3 years from the date the leave ended

Job evals, seniority system records, and documents relating to disciplinary action: 2 years from making the record or related personnel action

Medical Records (including drug tests): Duration of employment plus 30 years from termination of employment.
    EXCEPTION: For persons employed less than 1 year, medical reords need not be retained if provided to an employee upon termination.

Payroll Records: 3 years from date of termination.
    Time Cards- 2 years from termination or 3 years from the making of the record, whichever is longer

Workers Comp: The later of 12 years from date of injury, death, or last payment of compensation.

Hope this helps!
  • I have a HR Records, Reports & Retention Guide issued by EAF so the time frame I quote may only be for Florida.

According to the Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1964, any personnel or employment record made or kept by employer, including application forms and records having to do with hiring, promotion, demotion, transfrer, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other terms of compensation, and selection for training or apprenticeship must be retained for one year from date of making the record or taking the personnel action involved, whichever occurs later.

According to FMLA, you would have to retain those for 3 years.

I hope this helps.