Employee requests letter

An employee has requested a letter from the Company that he can give a retail store in which he suffered an injury. He is requesting the letter verify he did not work that day and the number of hours he was scheduled to work. However, he will not authorize the release of information about the vacation hours he was paid for the day.

I want to help him out, but am a little uncomfortable signing a letter that just states he didn't work "X" date and was scheduled for "X" hours without mentioning the vacation time paid.

Am I being too picky?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, remain uncomfortable and tell the employee that you cannot sign anything that appears dishonest.
  • I agree. Sounds like the guy is trying to get someone to pay him "lost wages". You can't really claim "lost vacation day" can you? x:)
  • Sure you can! I was in a car accident that kept me out of work for several days. I had vacation time that I took, but the insurance company still reimbursed me for "lost wages". If not for the accident, I would have been at work and would not have been forced to use my vacation time.

That being said, I still wouldn't provide the letter unless I told the whole story.
  • They most certainly are lost wages. The employee obviously took vacation for to ensure that he be paid for the day he missed due to the accident. Now let's say the employee has planned vacation to TimBuckToo and will be gone for 1 week, but only has 4 vacation days remaining, meaning he is paid for 4 days and loses 1 day pay because because he used those hours for the time missed due to the accident. Lost wages? YES!!!
  • I still wouldn't write the letter unless I stated he was paid for a vacation day.
  • TEXAN: Would it not be factual if you simply write the following: To Whom it may concern: Employee XYZ was not present for work on date....; work was available for him/her on the date.....
    signed HR, Manager.

You are not lying for either party. Two months ago one of our managers was involved in an auto accident. We had him medically checked out, drug tested, and he missed two days of work. By law we had to pay him for those lost two days, he now had to use his own personal pick-up to conduct company business for 18 days, we paid him milage while using his vehicle, the insurance company paid for the damage to the truck and $25.00 a day for inconvience to our manager. The insurance company cut the check and sent it to us. Our empolyee manager was made whole and for once the company was also made whole. Normally, the other party does not have insurance sufficient to take care of the the company and it would be to expensive to squizze "blood from a turnip".

If your employee truly was injuried in a retail store, then support your employee without scamming the insurance industry.

PORK
  • The only time I did something like this was in response to a letter from the ee's attorney. I documented the time off the ee took and sent the letter directly to the attorney.