Stranded in HIPAA Land

I was just reviewing notes from a seminar I went to last year on HIPAA compliance and in my notes I had written "privacy notices should be treated like cobra notices and mailed to spouses & dependants who are covered under our plan." Is this correct? I don't remember reading it anywhere else.

We ever find our way out of HIPPA land?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Assuming you are considered a small plan, the notice of privacy practices must be given to each employee as of April 14, 2004. From that point on the employees must be given a copy every three years. To make it easier, we're just going to include a copy every year along with the Women's Health and Cancer Act.

In addition, we are going to include it in each new hire packet so all new employees have a copy.
  • My info states that we should address the Privacy Notice like COBRA notices, with Employee & Spouse/Dependent.

Privacy notice is supposed to go out to all participants in the Health Plan, so if you have ex-spouses on COBRA, for example, they should get separate notice since they are participant.