LEAVE BANK/ PAID VACATION

Does anyone give upper managment his/her vacation immediately upon employment or do you usually have the employee accrue their leave within the year? If you do give the employee their vacation leave up front, do you have a problem with employees taking their leave and leaving your company with a negative leave? Does anyone have a negative leave policy?

Thanks

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ours are allowed to take the amount they would accrue in the first year. If they resign with a negative balance, we deduct as much as we can from their last pay. If they end the year with a negative balance, we deduct those days from the next year's allowance.

• Our employees accrue their time off each pay period (PTO). They can us the PTO they will accrue in the current year before actually accruing. If they use more than 5 days accrual in advance we have them sign a form stating if they separate from blank company for any reason, they authorize the deduction of the accrual that was paid in advance (PTO) to be deducted from check upon termination. We also have the above spelled out in our Employee Handbook.
  • It depends upon the position, but we occasionally offer a specified amount of "accrued" leave (e.g., fifteen days) as part of the initial employment offer, which goes into the leave bank immediately on hire. The new employee then accrues leave at the regular accrual rate for new employees. We do not have a policy that allows negative leave.

At my previous place of employment, we were allowed to carry negative PTO balances of up to two weeks, which was deducted from the final paycheck.
  • Be careful about those final paycheck deductions. Absent an employee signed authorizations specifically approving the deduction, you are potentially in hot water.

We do not allow negative amounts in the leave banks.
  • You mention "upper management." What level are you describing? I am aware of some companies that do not track leave banks for executives of companies, as they have ultimately been held accountable to their performance by the CEO or the BoD. As for policy on the negative leave balance, I have seen flexibility ranging from no negative leave up to 1x the employee's annual leave accrual. If you intend to reclaim compensation from an employee who terminates from the company with a negative leave balance, you need to have a policy stating the company's right to do this that the employee has acknowledged in writing.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o